Preparation for Test series against India will be ideal: PontingDecember 17th, 2011 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Dec 17 (IANS) Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting, who is struggling with form, said his preparation for the Boxing Day Test against India will be the best but admitted that he is currently focussed on Twenty20 cricket.
Ponting, who turns 37 Monday, said he desperately wants to play the Big Bash Twenty20 league and said it would not harm his preparation for the Test series.
“It’s not my preparation for the Tests. I’m here to win a game for the Hobart Hurricanes. My Test preparation starts after that. So I’ll worry about that on Tuesday when we’re back into camp as a Test team,” Ponting was quoted as saying by the Herald Sun ahead of his 15th and potentially final Boxing Day appearance.
“But while I’m here with the Hurricanes, I’ll be training and preparing the best way that I can to make sure I’m playing good Twenty20 cricket. With the amount of time and effort that’s been put into the Big Bash the last couple of years and certainly this season I think it’s really important that all the players do the best they can to make the game the best spectacle possible,” said Ponting.
Ponting was scheduled to turn out for the Hurricanes against the Sydney Sixers in Tasmania Wednesday but has pulled out of that match after being summoned to the Test team’s batting camp to be held in Melbourne this week.
Ponting said the bating camp was needed and said he had spoken to coach Mickey Arthur about its aims.
- Ponting joins native Hobart Hurricanes to show loyalty - Jul 07, 2011
- Things not going my way in last few innings: Hussey - Dec 19, 2011
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Hilfenhaus revives his hope of Test comeback - Dec 19, 2011
- Big Bash launch pales in comparison with IPL - Dec 17, 2011
- Australia recall Hilfenhaus, Cowan set for Test debut against India - Dec 21, 2011
- Bellerive Oval doesn't seem to miss Ponting - Feb 24, 2012
- Bravo hopes to makes a splash in Big Bash - Dec 14, 2011
- Tasmanian Krejza still hopeful about playing Test cricket for Australia - Jan 17, 2011
- Clarke, Johnson still undecided on Big Bash - Jul 10, 2011
- Now Blake keen on playing in Australia's Big Bash - Aug 17, 2012
- Watson to play in Big Bash amid series against India - Jul 19, 2011
- Clark stands down from full-time cricket for administrative role - May 18, 2011
- Pattinson, Siddle nursing niggles, but sure to play Test - Dec 16, 2011
- Warner most sought after player in Big Bash - Jun 26, 2011
Tags: aims, amount of time, australian captain, boxing day, boxing day test, captain ricky ponting, herald sun, hobart, hurricanes, match, melbourne, mickey, ricky, sixers, spectacle, tasmania, test preparation, test series, test team, twenty20 cricket