Preity Zinta ‘avoids’ court summonsMarch 24th, 2010 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 24 (IANS) A local court’s summons issued against Kings XI Punjab’s chairperson Preity Zinta and co-owner Ness Wadia over their Indian Premier League (IPL) advertisements could not be served Wednesday as they sought time through their spokesperson till Thursday afternoon.
The Chandigarh court Monday issued summons against the two for using pictures of freedom fighters in their advertisements. The court has summoned Zinta and Wadia April 2.
The summons were issued on a complaint filed by city-based NGO Global Human Rights Council (GHRC).
Representatives of GHRC, along with court officials, Wednesday visited the Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) stadium in neighbouring Mohali town to deliver the summons.
“Preity refused to meet us and sent a message through her spokesperson. She said that today (Wednesday) she was busy and told us to come tomorrow (Thursday) by noon. She is just trying to avoid court summons,” Arvind Thakur, president of GHRC, told IANS.
“We will again go to PCA tomorrow (Thursday) and try our best to deliver the summons. We just want the guilty to render an apology before the court,” he said.
In their complaint, GHRC had objected to the use of pictures of freedom fighters, including Bhagat Singh and Rajguru, in advertisements of Kings XI Punjab. They said the advertisements had “hurt the sentiments of the people”.
Kings XI Punjab will take on Rajasthan Royals in an IPL match at PCA stadium, around 10 km from here, Wednesday evening.
- NGO moves human rights commission against Preity Zinta - Mar 25, 2010
- Court summons for Preity Zinta on IPL ads - Mar 22, 2010
- Hours before match, criminal complaint against Kings XI Punjab - Mar 13, 2010
- Case against Preity Zinta, other Kings XI owners stayed - Aug 03, 2010
- Preity denies any arrest warrant against her by court - Jul 24, 2010
- Chennai Super Kings arrive in Chandigarh to take on Kings XI Punjab - Apr 12, 2011
- Preity Zinta argues with airport official - Apr 15, 2011
- Fans garner signatures in support of Kings XI Punjab - Oct 20, 2010
- Court rejects cricket board's plea against Punjab Kings XI - Dec 15, 2010
- Jhappis, prasad, slaps for Kings XI Punjab (Letter from Mohali) - Apr 01, 2010
- Bombay High Court stays Kings XI Punjab's termination from IPL - Dec 08, 2010
- Kings XI Punjab now get rap for running office from house - Apr 14, 2011
- Injured Brett Lee returns to Australia for treatment - Mar 12, 2010
- Arrest warrants against IPL team owners Priety Zinta, Ness Wadia - Jul 24, 2010
- Kings XI to don green caps for 'One watt' campaign - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: arvind, bhagat singh, chairperson, co owner, court officials, court summons, freedom fighters, ghrc, global human rights, ipl, local court, pca stadium, preity zinta, punjab cricket association, rajguru, spokesperson, thakur, thursday afternoon, wadia, wednesday evening