Pre-season overseas tour has double edges: WengerMay 5th, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 5 (IANS) Arsenal Football Club manager Arsene Wenger feels there are both advantages and disadvantages in the pre-season overseas tour especially in a major tournament year.
The English Premier League side announced its summer overseas tour comprising visits to Asia in July and Africa in early August.
The tour, presented by Emirates, begins in Kuala Lumpur when the first team will play against a Malaysia XI in the Bukit Jalil Stadium July 24.
The Gunners then travel to China to play against Manchester City at the Bird’s Nest Stadium in Beijing July 27. The team will visit Hong Kong for a match against local champion Kitchee FC July 29.
Arsenal will embark on an African leg of the pre-season schedule, which sees the team travel to in Nigeria for a match Aug 5, Xinhua reports.
As the European Championship will be staged in June and the Premier League will start the new season in August, the long journey might add fatigues to the players.
“A tour like that has advantages and disadvantages. Lets be honest,” said the French manager Friday.
- Man City beat Arsenal at pre-season friendly - Jul 27, 2012
- Podolski turns down riches to sign with Arsenal - Mar 09, 2012
- Arsenal to play Man City in Beijing's Bird's Nest - Feb 29, 2012
- Fighting Arsenal bow out of Champions League - Mar 07, 2012
- Arsenal wants to bring in more players: Wenger - Jul 25, 2012
- Wenger says Arsenal are 'trying to win everything they can' - Jan 26, 2011
- Thierry Henry coaching Arsenal's strikers - Jan 10, 2011
- Defender Vermaelen signs new deal with Arsenal - Oct 19, 2011
- Arsenal's '2004 Invincibles' won't happen again: Ferguson - Dec 13, 2010
- 'Bad boys' Arsenal at the bottom of Premier League fair play table - Nov 12, 2010
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Gunners move to within two points of Premier League leader Chelsea - Nov 15, 2010
- Arsenal needs to work harder to end trophy drought: Wenger - Apr 21, 2011
- Arsenal bent on wrecking Man U's unbeaten run: Walcott - Dec 10, 2010
- Arsenal under pressure to meet only remaining Premier League 'target': Wenger - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: arsenal football club, asia, beijing, bukit jalil stadium, champion, china, early august, emirates, english premier league, fatigues, gunners, hong kong, kuala lumpur, long journey, manager arsene wenger, manchester city, match, nigeria, team travel, xinhua