Prayag United, Mumbai FC shock rivalsNovember 23rd, 2011 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 23 (IANS) Prayag United upset Mohun Bagan 3-2 while Mumbai FC ended Sporting Clube de Goa’s unbeaten run with a 2-1 win in I-League matches here Wednesday.
In two other one-sided games, East Bengal whipped Hindustan Aeronautics Limited 8-1 and Dempo SC crushed Shillong Lajong 5-0.
In Kolkata’s Salt Lake stadium, Mohun Bagan scored against the run of play in the 22nd minute with Snehasish Chakraborty neatly finishing a Gouranga Dutta cross from the right.
Prayag fought hard to get an eqauliser and minutes before half time Joshimar scored for the “home” team. Shankar Orao’s cross was headed by Yusuf Yakubu but the ball struck the post and Brazilian Joshimar da Silva netted past Bagan keeper Sangram Mukherjee.
In the 47th minute, Sunil Chetri took a goalbound shot that deflected off a defender only for it to land to Odafa Okolie who put the ball in to enable Bagan regain the lead.
Prayag again equalised seven minutes later from a penalty after Kingshuk Debnath handled the ball in the box. Yakubu made no fuss in converting the setpiece.
Two minutes later, Prayag scored again through Yakubu off a corner.
Mumbai FC cashed in every chance they got on Wednesday and survived a late charge from Sporting Clube de Goa to score their second win in seven games.
Ebi Sukore Thephlius provided the breakthrough in the added time of the first half when he was brought down in the box.
Gbeneme Friday scored the second goal five minutes into the second half.
But Victorino Fernandes came up with a late reducer off a corner that infused spark in the Goan frontline.
East Bengal came back to their winning ways after going down to arch-rivals Mohun Bagan in a hard fought derby.
Making a comeback, Australian striker Tolgay Ozbey notched up four goals and defender Uga Okpara contributed a brace, while strikers Robin Singh and Baljit Saini brought in the rest.
Dempo Sports Club, Goa, opened up a six point lead at the top of the table after demolishing Shillong Lajong at the Nehru Stadium, Fatorda.
Dempo led 3-0 at the breather with a brace of goals from Anthony Pereira and one from Nigerian striker Koko Sakibo. In the second session, Ranty Martins and Clifford Miranda added to Lajong’s misery.
- Federation Cup: Holders Salgaocar in tough group - Aug 24, 2012
- Mohun Bagan, Mumbai FC win (Roundup) - Oct 24, 2011
- East Bengal look to level with Dempo in I-league - Jan 30, 2012
- Federation Cup: East Bengal clubbed with Dempo and Pune FC - Aug 18, 2011
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- Federation Cup: Wahingdoh shock Mohun Bagan - Sep 18, 2011
- Federation Cup: Mohun Bagan bow out, Wahingdoh upset Churchill - Sep 20, 2011
- Federation Cup: Pune FC placed in tough draw - Aug 31, 2012
- Sporting Clube stun Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 19, 2012
- Sporting stay confident against Prayag - Jan 27, 2012
- I-League: Dempo hold Mohun Bagan - Apr 01, 2012
- I-League: Mohun Bagan thrash Shillong Lajong - Apr 10, 2012
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- I-League: Air India take on Prayag United - Apr 10, 2012
- I-League football clubs form their association - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: added time, baljit, chakraborty, club goa, da silva, dempo, east bengal, goan, hindustan aeronautics limited, mohun bagan, orao, prayag, robin singh, saini, shillong, sided games, sporting clube, victorino, winning ways, yakubu