Prashanth upstages Gajjar in ITF tournamentAugust 18th, 2009 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Fourth-seeded Indian Rohan Gajjar, finalist in the last ITF tournament here a month ago, looked rusty and was upstaged in the first round this time around by compatriot N.Vijay Sundar Prashanth, 6-7(5), 4-6, in the $10,000 tournament at the DLTA complex Tuesday.
Gajjar looked listless as he frittered away break opportunities in both the sets. Prashanth, on the other hand, came out with stunning returns of serve and clean passes to mount Gajjar’s errors.
Prashanth, who had beaten Gajjar when the two met the only time at the qualifying stage of an ITF tournament in 2007, served well to force a first-set tie-break, which he dominated.
In the second set, Gajjar snatched a break in the seventh game only to drop his serve in the very next. He was again broken in the tenth game and the match was gone.
Sixth-seeded Ranjeeth Virali Murugesan of India recovered from a set loss and a twisted ankle, to win 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 against Britain’s Kyle Brassington.
The Briton dominated the first set with his big serve and powerful grounstrokes that left Ranjeeth groping. Brassington had an early break and that was good enough to take the first set. In the last game of the set, the Indian took a tumble hitting a forehand and sprained his left ankle that needed to be strapped.
Ranjeeth made it a set-all, gaining the decisive break in the sixth game.
The Briton literally threw away the third set, winning just a game, and the Indian closed out the set and the match in nearly two hours.
In the other first round matches, American Shane La Porte demolished Indian Vikram Reddy 6-0, 6-2 while Britain’s Max Jones dispatched Ankit Sachdeva 6-1, 6-4. Fifth seed Peter Lucassen of the Netherlands beat South Korean Hyun Soo Lim 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.
- Vishnu lone Indian in ITF tournament semis - Aug 20, 2009
- Vardhan in ITF tournament quarters - Aug 19, 2009
- Yuki concedes ITF quarterfinals - Jun 09, 2011
- Myneni packs off Murugesan in ITF Futures tennis - Nov 09, 2011
- Prerna, Ankita only Indians to advance to quarterfinals - May 11, 2011
- Gajjar, Ranjit score easy first round victories - Jun 07, 2011
- Poonacha, Riya bag ITF junior titles - Sep 01, 2012
- Vignesh upsets Gajjar, Yuki breezes into ITF quarters - Jun 08, 2011
- Sharma puts out Vijayaraghavan in ITF event - Jul 30, 2012
- China's Yang wins her first ITF singles title - Jun 18, 2011
- Myneni enters semi-finals of ITF Futures tennis - Nov 10, 2011
- Myneni packs off Murugesan in ITF meet - Jun 05, 2012
- Nedunchezhiyan shocks Lucassen to enter ITF second round - Sep 01, 2009
- Karunuday to meet Malik in ITF final - Jun 10, 2011
- Nam shuts out Murugesan in tennis meet - Jul 26, 2012