Pranitha, Dola make it to Beijing OlympicsJune 29th, 2008 - 10:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 29 (IANS) Junior archer V. Pranitha and veteran Dola Banerjee made the cut for the Beijing Olympic Games archery on the concluding day of the trials for the mega event here Sunday. The duo would join L. Bombayla Devi in the Indian women’s recurve archery team at Beijing.
At the end of the four-day trials at the SAI, Eastern Centre, the 17-year-old Pranitha of Steel Plant stood first with a cumulative total of 5167 out of a possible 5760 points. Railway employee Dola, who got her second successive Olympics berth, was second with 5141 points.
Uttar Pradesh girl Punya Prabha, Chekrovolu Swuro of Nagaland and Railway’s Reena Kumari were third, fourth and fifth with 5128, 5124 and 5119 points respectively. Another junior Pratima Boro of Steel Plant, came sixth with 5043 points.
Each archer was asked to shoot 144 arrows daily for four days over a distance of 70m for a total of 576 arrows.
At the Olympics an archer will shoot only 72 arrows over the 70m distance in the FITA round qualification. Only 64 archers make it to the Olympics round knockout individual championship and top 16 nations for the team championship.
Indian archery squad for Olympics:
Men: Mangal Singh Champia (Railways). Women: Laishram Bombayla Devi (Rly), V. Pranitha (Steel Plant) and Dola Banerjee (Rly).
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- World Cup Stage I archery: Indians put up a modest show - May 04, 2011
- Indian archery team for Asian meets announced - Oct 16, 2009
- Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meet - Jun 30, 2011
- Indian men 3rd, women 6th in archery World Cup qualifiers - Aug 06, 2010
- Asian Games archery: Deepika seventh, team 5th in women's qualifying - Nov 19, 2010
- Eight-member Indian recurve archery squad for World Cup - May 17, 2010
- Indian archery team for South Asian Games announced - Jan 26, 2010
- Little known Iranian shocks Talukdar in Archery World Cup - Jun 09, 2011
- Chekrovolu, Jayalakshmi make the cut for World Cup - Apr 12, 2009
- Impressive show by women archers in World Cup - Aug 06, 2009
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
- Olympics: India men bow out, Deepika now lone hope (Archery Intro Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- South Korea the team to beat at Olympics: Rahul Banerjee - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: archer, archery team, arrows, beijing olympics, berth, boro, cumulative total, dola banerjee, indian archery, indian women, knockout, kolkata, nagaland, olympic games, olympics, railway employee, railways, recurve archery, reena kumari, steel plant