Prakash’s absence a blow to the Davis Cup team: BhupathiFebruary 10th, 2009 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 10 (IANS) India’s tennis ace Mahesh Bhupathi said the Davis Cup team would have to deal with Prakash Amritraj’s absence and felt that Junior Australian Open champion Yuki Bhambri should be blooded in the national squad in the upcoming tie against Chinese Taipei.
The government last year ruled that only Indian citizens would be allowed to represent the country. The policy debars Prakash, who lives in the US and holds an American passport, from playing the Davis Cup tie in Chinese Taipei beginning March 6.
“It is a big blow. We got to deal with it. They (government) passed the ruling and said deal with it, so we will deal with it. We will play with the best team we have,” Bhupathi said Tuesday on the sidelines of a training camp.
Bhupathi also said 16-year-old Yuki should be the included in the David Cup squad.
“Davis Cup is a stage where every kid thinks of playing and representing the country. When I was first included in the Davis Cup squad, I did not play. But it is great to be a part of the team. Yuki should be with the team and get a feel of it. There is no doubt that he is going to be the part of the team in the future,” Bhupathi said.
About their tie against Chinese Taipei, Bhupathi said: “It is going to be very tough as it is an away tie and Chinese Taipei players are quite good. It is always tough to play against any Asian side.”
Bhupathi, who clinched the Australian Open mixed doubles with Sania Mirza, said the win will do a world of good to her.
“The Grand Slam win will definitely boost her confidence. She has won the first round of Pattaya Open today. Most important thing is that she is healthy. Hopefully, she would be able to translate her confidence on tennis courts.”
Bhupathi was here as part of an initiative of Mahesh Bhupathi Team Tennis (MBTT).
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Davis Cup: India captain weighs his options - Sep 12, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna dropped from Davis Cup team - Aug 18, 2012
- After 19 years, Chandigarh to host Davis Cup tie - Sep 02, 2012
- AITA backs Paes, gives sports ministry five options - Jun 19, 2012
- It's for AITA to decide Olympics line-up: Bhupathi - Feb 09, 2012
- Gloves off in Paes-Bhupathi battle - Jun 15, 2012
- Maken retreats; AITA, Bhupathi back to square one (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Vardhan hopes to shine on Wimbledon grass - Jun 21, 2012
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- National Tennis: Vishnu, Yuki breeze into semis - Oct 13, 2011
- It's for AITA to pick the Olympic team, says Maken (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Paes to miss Davis Cup tie against Japan - Sep 13, 2011
- Great comeback, but team needs younger players: Akhtar Ali - Sep 19, 2010
- Paes, Bhupathi to team up against Brazil in Davis Cup tie - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: american passport, asian side, australian open, australian open champion, australian open mixed doubles, chinese taipei, davis cup, davis cup squad, davis cup team, davis cup tie, grand slam, indian citizens, mahesh bhupathi, no doubt, prakash amritraj, sania mirza, team tennis, tennis ace, tennis courts, yuki bhambri