Prabodh to lead Indian hockey team in Olympic qualifiersFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 8:14 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, Feb 22 (IANS) Left half Prabodh Tirkey has been retained captain of the Indian team for the men’s Olympic hockey qualifying tournament in Santiago, Chile Mar 1-9. The team, announced by Indian Hockey Federation Secretary-General K. Jothikumaran Friday has four changes from the squad that took part in the Champions Challenge tournament in Boom, Belgium, last year.
Back in the team are goalkeeper Bharat Chetri who replaces an injured Adrian D’Souza; promising full-back and drag-flick specialist Diwakar Ram comes in for Jaswinder Singh; forwards Bharat Chhikara and rookie Ajitesh Rai were selected in place of Roshan Minz and S.V. Sunil.
India, along with hosts Chile, Britain, Mexico, Austria and Russia (who replaced Bangladesh), will contest for the last qualifying spot left for the Beijing Olympics.
“The team has a good mix of youth and experience and we hope to do well in Santiago,” said chief coach Joaquim Carvalho.
“All the teams coming to Santiago will have the same object of qualifying for the Olympics and so we cannot take any match lightly.
“We had a good training-cum-competition programme in Perth earlier this month. All the players are fit and we have no injury worries,” he said while pointing out that both Sardara Singh and Prabhjot Singh have fully recovered from minor injuries.
The squad contains several promising youngsters like Diwakar Ram, Raghunath, Sardara Singh and Ajitesh Rai, while the midfield will be manned by experienced campaigners in skipper Prabodh Tirkey, his elder brother Ignace, Bimal Lakra and Gurbaj Singh.
The forward line looks robust with the likes of Rajpal Singh, Prabhjot Singh, Tushar Khandekar and Shivendra Singh manning key positions while the deep defence will be in the hands of veteran Dilip Tirkey and young William Xalxo.
Goalkeepers: Baljit Singh, Bharath Chetri. Defenders: Dilip Tirkey, William Xalco, V Ramachandra Ragunath, Diwakar Ram. Midfielders: Gurbaj Singh, Bimal Lakra, Sardara Singh, Ignace Tirkey, Prabodh Tirkey (captain), Vikram Kanth. Forwards: Rajpal Singh, Tushar Khandekar, Shivendra Singh, Prabhjot Singh, Bharat Chhikara, Ajitesh Rai. Coach: Joaquim Carvalho.
- 48 probables selected for national hockey camp - Jul 16, 2011
- Asian Champions Trophy: Rajpal to lead men's team, Anjum women's - Aug 16, 2011
- Ace forward Rajpal axed from hockey squad for Olympic qualifiers - Jan 30, 2012
- Rajpal retained among 32 hockey probables for Olympic qualifiers - Jan 23, 2012
- Chettri to lead Indian hockey team in London - Apr 10, 2012
- Indian hockey team to play in Hamburg Masters - Jun 16, 2010
- Hockey team to have no designated captain for Canada tour - Sep 30, 2009
- 90 Indian players sign up for Hockey India league - Sep 12, 2012
- Rajpal, Halappa left out from Olympics hockey probables - Feb 27, 2012
- Rajpal, Surinder Kaur to lead hockey teams in Guangzhou - Nov 03, 2010
- Indian hockey squad for Commonwealth Games announced - Aug 30, 2010
- Three former Pakistan captains sign-up with World Series of Hockey - Aug 17, 2011
- 32 hockey players named for central contracts - Jun 08, 2012
- Chettri to lead Indian hockey team in Olympics - Jun 11, 2012
- Chettri to lead Indian hockey team in Olympics (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: baljit singh, beijing olympics, bharath, bimal, challenge tournament, chief coach, diwakar, forward line, indian hockey federation, jaswinder singh, minz, olympic hockey, olympic qualifiers, prabhjot singh, promising youngsters, qualifying for the olympics, raghunath, ramachandra, santiago chile, tirkey