Power sharing should be on the basis of people’s mandate: PM KoiralaJune 14th, 2008 - 8:27 pm ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, June 14 (ANI): Nepal s Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala on Saturday said that power sharing among the parties should be in accordance with the people’s mandate established through the Constituent Assembly (CA) election.
According to Nepalnews, Koirala said this during a meeting with Communist Party of Nepal-Unified Marxist Leninist (CPN-UML) general secretary C.P Mainali in Baluwatar today, giving a hint that the NC wants to divide the top posts- president, prime minister and CA chairman- among the top three parties.
According to Mainali, Koirala informed that negotiations were going on with the Maoists, CPN-UML and other parties to resolve the deadlock over power sharing and stressed that there’s no alternative to consensus in the current situation.
Mainali said he told the Prime Minister that the Maoists should be given government’s leadership while the posts of the president and the chairman of CA should go to Nepali Congress (NC) and UML respectively.
The UML general secretary said the NC and UML were not doing enough to create an atmosphere of trust to resolve the power sharing issue and go for a constitutional amendment.
NC has been lobbying in favour of Koirala’s bid for presidency while the Maoists want to award the top post to somebody who is not in the leadership position of the major parties. (ANI)
- Nepal parties reach power sharing deal - May 03, 2012
- Nepal's opposition parties to hold anti-PM rally - Jun 02, 2012
- Maoist-led govt acceptable in Nepal if past pacts implemented: UML - Jul 02, 2010
- Nepali Speaker urged to help end "meaningless" PM election - Sep 24, 2010
- Prachanda says he didn't propose Girija Prasad Koirala as PM - Oct 06, 2009
- Nepal gets a new cabinet - May 06, 2012
- Nepal opposition plans anti-government protest - Jun 05, 2012
- Nepal Maoists want only Prachanda as Prime Minister - Jun 10, 2010
- Madhav Kumar could become new Nepal PM: Report - May 17, 2009
- Nepal remains lost in poll labyrinth - Sep 26, 2010
- Nepal top leaders to finalise joint resolution motion - Dec 14, 2009
- Efforts on to form Government in Nepal - May 14, 2009
- Nepal Maoists blame India for failure to form government - Jul 03, 2010
- Nepalese PM rules out resigning from premiership - Jun 27, 2010
- Conflict between parties delaying Nepal's cabinet expansion: Experts - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: atmosphere of trust, ca chairman, communist party of nepal, constituent assembly, constitutional amendment, cpn, current situation, deadlock, favour, general secretary, girija prasad koirala, june 14, kathmandu, leadership position, mandate, maoists, marxist leninist, prasad, prime minister girija prasad koirala, uml