Possible Robles-Liu face-off evinces interest in CubaJuly 29th, 2008 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, July 29 (Xinhua) A possible face-off between Cuban Dayron Robles and Chinese Lu Xiang in the final of the 110 metres hurdles in the Beijing Olympic Games has evinced great interest in Cuba. According to Cuban sports press Monday, the race will be the main event of athletics during the Olympics.
Roble, 21, is the current world record holder and is considered as a strong medal prospect.
The Cuban had a successful season this year, with eight triumphs in nine events, including the record of 12.87 seconds he made in June in the Grand Prix of Ostrava, Czech Republic.
Robles also clocked 12.88 in Saint Denis, France; 12.91 in Stockholm, Sweden and 12.96 in Villenueve-d’Ascq, France.
On the other hand, Liu, 25, has all the titles of the International Federation of Athletics in his kitty.
The Chinese is considered an icon of the Chinese sports, and set an Olympic record of 12.91 seconds in 2004 Athens Games.
Liu’s coach Sun Haiping said that Liu has a lesion in the Achilles ankle and his current condition isn’t good.
But Liu also has some advantages. He has the experience of competing in Olympics and this time he will be on his home turf.
For Robles this will be his first Olympics and in the last months due to pressures, on two different occasions, he has stayed in the block thinking it was a false start.
“I know my race against Liu will be one of the greatest attractions of the Games,” Robles said adding that the man to defeat during the Games is Liu.
Other top hurdlers include the American Oliver (12.89 soconds), Terrence Trammel (13.11) and David Payne (13.25).
The Olympic final of 110 metres hurdles will be on Aug 21 at the National Stadium of Beijing, also known as Bird Nest.
- Liu Xiang equals men's 110m hurdles world record - Jun 03, 2012
- Liu Xiang, Robles set for Birmingham showdown - Feb 10, 2012
- Chinese hurdler Liu hints London Games his last - Feb 18, 2012
- Robles to train in Spain ahead of Olympics - Jun 26, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Cuban hurdler Robles wants nothing but gold at London - Feb 09, 2012
- Star hurdler Liu Xiang wins Kawasaki meet - May 06, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Coach worried about Liu Xiang's foot injury - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Merritt hurdles to 110m gold for US - Aug 09, 2012
- China's Liu Xiang will be ready for Olympics: Coach - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Merritt a deserving 110m hurdles champion (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- Liu Xiang needs to run inside 12.95 for gold: coach - Jul 28, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: athens games, bird nest, chinese sports, current condition, david payne, dayron robles, face off, first olympics, home turf, hurdlers, hurdles, international federation, olympic games, olympic record, ostrava czech republic, saint denis france, sports press, stockholm sweden, world record holder, xinhua