Portugal lose last friendly before the Euro 2012June 3rd, 2012 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lisbon, June 3 (IANS) One week before their match against Germany in the Euro 2012, the Portuguese national football team lost to Turkey 1-3 in a friendly here.
For the Portuguese, the main question was if the team strikers would start to score. Last week, in the match against Macedonia, Portugal’s three centre-forwards failed to score. In the game against Turkey Saturday, the team only managed to score one goal, reported Xinhua.
Although the Portuguese had more ball control, the Turks scored first. In the 35th minute, after a fast counterattack, Umut Bulut took advantage of hesitation in the Portuguese defence.
In the 51st minute, courtesy another mistake by the Portuguese, Turkey scored the second goal. Portuguese defender Bruno Alves missed a pass and Bulut once again pounced and scored his second of the night.
After going two goals down, Portugal bounced to the attack. In the 56th minute, after a well organised play, Nani received the ball in the box and scored. Two minutes later, though star player Cristiano Ronaldo missed a spot kick.
In the 88th minute in another mash up in defence, Portugal conceded the third goal.
- England qualify for Euro 2012, Portugal a step away - Oct 08, 2011
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Germany's Gomez breaks deadlock for win over Portugal (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Ronaldo heads Portugal into semifinal, downs Czechs - Jun 22, 2012
- Sporting notches seventh consecutive win in Europe - Mar 30, 2012
- Benfica in Champions League quarters after six years - Mar 07, 2012
- Portugal, Ireland book Euro 2012 berth - Nov 16, 2011
- Porto beat Benfica to lead Portuguese league - Mar 03, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain beat Portugal 4-2 on penalties, reach final - Jun 28, 2012
- India, Spain share six goals in first Test - Jul 06, 2012
- Nehru Cup: India scrape through 2-1 against Syria - Aug 22, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany beat Danes to set up Greece quarterfinal - Jun 18, 2012
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo brace sees Portugal through, Dutch out - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: bruno, counterattack, cristiano ronaldo, euro 2012, forwards, hesitation, june 3, lisbon, macedonia, mash, mistake, national football team, portuguese, ronaldo, score one, star player, strikers, turkey 1, two minutes, xinhua