Porterfield reprimanded for breaching ICC Code of ConductMarch 14th, 2011 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 14 (IANS) Ireland captain William Porterfield has been reprimanded by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for expressing displeasure over an umpiring decision after his side’s 44-run defeat against the West Indies in a World Cup Group B match in Mohali Friday.
The incident took place in the post-match conference where Porterfield expressed his displeasure over umpire Asoka de Silva’s decision to rule batsman Gary Wilson lbw. Porterfield had said the decision was one of the many reasons they lost the match.
Commenting on his decision, ICC match referee Roshan Mahanama said: “Although it may not be unusual for a captain to feel aggrieved or frustrated by what he feels is a rough decision, it does not give him any right to criticise the umpire as William did.”
“The umpire’s decision is final and it is a long-standing pillar of our game that the match officials should receive absolute respect for their decisions. In giving my verdict, I took into account that this was William’s first such offence.”
Porterfield pleaded guilty to a Level 1 offence (Section 2.1.7) which relates to “public criticism of, or inappropriate comment in relation to an incident occurring in an international match or any player, player support personnel or match official”.
All Level 1 breaches carry a minimum penalty of an official reprimand and/or a maximum penalty of a fine up to 50 per cent of a player’s match fee.
As Porterfield accepted the sanction without contest, there was no need for a hearing.
- Bresnan reprimanded for breaching ICC Code of Conduct - Feb 28, 2011
- Tim Bresnan reprimanded, Strauss fined for slow over-rate against India - Feb 28, 2011
- Pietersen reprimanded for ICC conduct breach - Oct 30, 2011
- Dilshan fined by ICC for excessive appealing - Apr 06, 2012
- Ponting reprimanded for breaching ICC Code of Conduct (Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- Munaf fined 25 percent of match fee - Apr 10, 2012
- Irish captain Porterfield blasts UDRS - Mar 11, 2011
- ICC fines Rampaul, reprimands Sammy - Jun 24, 2011
- Pollard, Proteas fined for breaching ICC Code of Conduct - May 22, 2010
- Mills, Vettori and du Plessis fined for breaching ICC Code of Conduct - Mar 26, 2011
- Mills, Vettori and du Plessis fined by ICC - Mar 26, 2011
- Raina fined for showing dissent - Jun 30, 2011
- Tim Bresnan reprimanded, England fined - Feb 28, 2011
- McCullum reprimanded for dissent - Aug 26, 2012
- Bresnan fined for showing dissent against umpires in Mohali - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: absolute respect, breaches, captain william, chennai, de silva, displeasure, gary wilson, international cricket council, lbw, level 1, maximum penalty, mohali, offence, official reprimand, pillar, player player, public criticism, sanction, umpire, west indies