Pornanong takes lead at DLF Women’s Indian OpenFebruary 25th, 2009 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Feb 25 (IANS) Defending champion Phatlum Pornanong grabbed the limelight early with a brilliant four-under 68, propelling her into a two-stroke lead in the first round of the DLF Women’s Indian Open golf at the DLF Golf and Country Club here Wednesday.
South Korean Kim Hae Jung was second with two-under 70 while there was a four-way tie for the third position at one-under 71 between Titiya Plucksataporn (Thailand), Wei Li (China), Nicole Montgomery(Australia) and Bo Mi Park (Korea).
Saaniya Sharma held aloft the Indian flag, brining in the day’s best among the home stars, as she returned a card of even-par 72 placing her at tied-seventh. Smriti Mehra and Nalini Singh were among several others placed at tied-25th position with cards of 76.
Tanya Wadhwa shot a three-over 75 to take the lead among the amateurs. Gauri Monga was placed second in that category at five-over 77 while Laverry Kumar and Shwata Galande were tied third at six-over 78 apiece.
Pornanong who recently earned a conditional card to the prestigious Ladies PGA Tour, started her round with a bang with a birdie on her opening hole. Two more birdies followed on the sixth and eighth and the 19 year-old made the turn at three-under.
At this stage she was clearly the leader and this prompted her to play the back-nine relatively safely. A birdie on the 11th was followed by a series of pars.
South Korean Kim, who narrowly missed out on winning last week’s Thailand Ladies Open losing in a play-off to Thai girl Onnarin Sattayabanphot, looked determined to make amends this time round.
The 23 year-old, who played with Smriti Mehra and Phatlung Pornanong, had a decent front-nine with a birdie on the sixth. Making the turn at one-under, Kim birdied the tenth to go two under. Her first and only bogey of the day on the 12th was offset by a birdie on the 15th.
- Smriti takes big lead at Women's Pro Golf Tour event - Mar 29, 2012
- Kim Hae joins Phatlum in DLF Women's Indian Open lead - Feb 26, 2009
- Vani Kapoor leads by three strokes - Sep 04, 2012
- Smriti, Rhea and Sharmila start well at European golf pre-qualifiers - Jan 09, 2012
- Laura Davies takes the lead in Indian Open Golf - Nov 11, 2010
- Sharmila maintains lead at Hero women's professional golf - Aug 24, 2011
- Smriti makes cut in Thailand golf - Feb 10, 2011
- Hedwall wins Women's Indian Open golf, Sharmila top Indian - Dec 11, 2011
- Smriti lies 42nd at Thailand Ladies Open golf - Feb 08, 2012
- Vani takes four-stroke lead in women's golf - Sep 05, 2012
- Golf: Sharmila ahead by two strokes - Aug 22, 2012
- Simi, youngsters take on foreign challenge at DLF Women's Open - Feb 24, 2009
- Smriti fires 66 to win golf title - Aug 30, 2012
- Two shot lead for Arjun Sharma in North India golf - Mar 13, 2012
- Debutant Vani snatches lead in Hero Women's golf - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: birdie, birdies, bogey, defending champion, dlf golf, golf and country club, gurgaon, indian flag, kim hae, mehra, nalini singh, open golf, smriti, south korean, take the lead, thai girl, thailand ladies, third position, wadhwa, wei li