Pope Benedict says John Paul II had supernatural qualitiesApril 3rd, 2008 - 1:30 pm ICT by admin
London, April 3 (ANI): Pope Benedict XVI said that his successor John Paul II had supernatural qualities, while speaking at a mass in St Peter’s Square to mark the third anniversary of the latters death.
“Among many human and supernatural qualities, he had an exceptional spiritual and mystical sensibility,” Times Online quoted him as saying.
“We relive with emotion the hours of that Saturday evening when the news of his death was announced to the great crowd which filled St Peter’s Square … Let us give thanks to the Lord for having given to the Church this faithful and brave servant,” added Pope Benedict who put John Paul on the path to sainthood shortly after his election, by waiving the five year waiting period before a beatification cause can be opened.
The diocesan phase of the beatification cause, the step before sainthood, opened in Rome in June 2005, and concluded in April last year.
The next step for the Congregation for the Causes of Saints is to conclude that John Paul had “heroic virtues”, and for Pope Benedict to proclaim his predecessor “venerable”. (ANI)
- John Paul II beatified (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Pope John Paul II To Be Beatified By Vatican On May 1 - Jan 15, 2011
- Pope John Paul II's beatification gathers 1.5 million people - May 02, 2011
- Late Pope John Paul II on fast track to get sainthood - Dec 19, 2009
- Vatican warns pilgrims of ticket scams ahead of John Paul II beatification - Apr 11, 2011
- 'Humanity' not random product of evolution, but God's work: Pope - Apr 25, 2011
- Mugabe to attend John Paul II's beatification ceremony despite travel ban - Apr 29, 2011
- Pope John Paul II's sainthood delayed amid doubts over prerequisite miracle? - Mar 06, 2010
- John Paul II's beatification may draw a million pilgrims to Rome - Apr 28, 2011
- John Paul II beatification ceremony begins - May 01, 2011
- Pope John Paul II's blood to go on display - Apr 27, 2011
- Vatican defends wartime pope's beatification - Dec 24, 2009
- Pope turns 85 - Apr 16, 2012
- Monument of John Paul II unveiled in Moscow - Oct 15, 2011
- "Hitler's Pope" helped thousands of Jews escape Nazi concentration camps - Jul 07, 2010
Tags: anniversary, beatification, benedict xvi, congregation for the causes of saints, crowd, emotion, heroic virtues, john paul ii, london, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, predecessor, rome, sainthood, saturday evening, servant, st peter, thanks to the lord, waiting period