Ponting says will target `England weak links’ Cook, KP during AshesOctober 26th, 2010 - 11:26 am ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Oct. 26 (ANI): Australian cricket captain Ricky Ponting has said that he will target England batsmen Kevin Pietersen and Alistair Cook during the forthcoming Ashes series, as he sees them as the weak link in that line-up.
Speaking on Fox Sports program Inside Cricket, Ponting said: “There’s been a few other cracks opening up in their batting which is interesting right at the moment.”
“(Alastair) Cook is a battling away a little bit and (Kevin) Pietersen not having made a hundred for 12 months. If they come to Australia in that sort of form as well, then they will be under more pressure than ever in their careers before,” he added.
Cook averaged just 24.66 against Australia last English summer and needed a second-innings century against Pakistan this August to secure his place on the plane to Australia.
Pietersen, who has been a thorn in Australia’s side since his debut in 2005, has also been struggling for runs.
The South African born batsman has averaged just 36.90 since the start of the 2009 Ashes series and has not made a Test hundred since March last year. (ANI)
- Cook warns critics his 'bat will do the talking' during Ashes series - Oct 27, 2010
- Pietersen will be fair game for Aussie bowling attack: Hughes - Nov 14, 2010
- Strauss expects 'outstanding player' Pietersen to shine during Ashes series - Oct 31, 2010
- Flower expects 'special one' Pietersen to 'stand-out' on England's tour to Australia - Oct 27, 2010
- England top-order batsmen are vulnerable: Ponting - Aug 29, 2010
- Ponting raises 'big question mark' on Pietersen's form ahead of Ashes - Oct 11, 2010
- Australians are like 'wounded animal': Pietersen - Nov 02, 2010
- Pietersen eyeing century in Ashes to banish his 'gloom and doom' demons - Oct 28, 2010
- Cook, Trott record partnership humiliates Oz as England draw Ashes opener - Nov 29, 2010
- Chappell wants Ponting's suspension for arguing with umpires - Dec 28, 2010
- Cook likely to be named England ODI captain - May 05, 2011
- Breaches can be found in England team's fortress: Roebuck - Nov 07, 2010
- Siddle, Trott jump up in ICC Test rankings after successful Ashes campaign - Dec 31, 2010
- Pietersen aims to change his mental approach to succeed in Ashes series - Nov 07, 2010
- Aussies five wickets away from Perth Ashes Test glory - Dec 18, 2010
Tags: 12 months, alistair cook, australia, australian cricket captain, batsman, captain ricky ponting, cracks, debut, england, fox sports, kevin pietersen, little bit, melbourne, pakistan, ricky, sports program, thorn