Ponting rested, Henrique in Australian Twenty20 squadFebruary 11th, 2009 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Feb 11 (IANS) Young New South Wales (NSW) all-rounder Moises Henriques has been named in the 13-man Australian squad for Sunday’s Twenty20 match against New Zealand at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch said captain Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey would miss the match to give them a break ahead of the Test tour of South Africa which starts next week.
Michael Clarke will captain the team in Ponting’s absence while wicketkeeper Brad Haddin is the vice-captain.
“Given the high workload of Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey since the Indian Test series in October we have decided, in consultation with these players, to give them a rest,” Hilditch was quoted as saying in the Australian media Wednesday.
“With a hectic and competitive South African campaign departing the day after this match, we felt this option was best in the interest of the player’s workload management.”
South Australian batsman Callum Ferguson has been rewarded following his solid displays in the one-day series against the New Zealand with a place in the squad.
Young NSW opener David Warner will also return to the squad after being dropped from the one-day team.
Hilditch said the selection of Portuguese-born Henriques will provide him a golden opportunity.
“The NSP (National Selection Panel) regards Moises as an exciting young player with the all-round ability to play a role in the World Twenty20,” he said.
“We recently included him in the PM’s XI match against New Zealand where he played exceptionally well and we are hoping this opportunity will help him to continue his development.”
About Warner, Hilditch said: “We regard him (Warner) as an exciting young player who definitely remains in our thoughts for the World Twenty20.”
Australia (squad) : Michael Clarke (captain), Brad Haddin (wicket-keeper), Nathan Bracken, Callum Ferguson, Moises Henriques, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, David Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Adam Voges, David Warner, Cameron White.
- NSWs Henriques earns Aussie call-up for Twenty20 clash - Feb 11, 2009
- Australia field four debutants against New Zealand - Nov 26, 2011
- Final squads of 11 teams for Champions League named - Aug 22, 2011
- Hussey, Siddle, Bracken dropped from Australia Twenty20 squad - Aug 11, 2009
- Ponting axed from Australia's ODI squad, Watson returns - Feb 20, 2012
- CA drops David Hussey, Bracken and Clark from contracted players list - Apr 07, 2010
- Ponting, Watson, replace Warner, Ferguson for ODI series against Sri Lanka - Oct 26, 2010
- Lee in Australia's preliminary squad for World Twenty20 - Feb 26, 2010
- Australia calls up Dutch pacer Nannes for 20-20 clash against England - Aug 11, 2009
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Australia retain squad for Adelaide Test - Jan 17, 2012
- Australia drop Marsh, rest Haddin for ODI tri-series - Jan 30, 2012
- Lee, Hodge named in Oz 30-man 2011 World Cup squad - Dec 17, 2010
- World Cup: India opt to bat against Australia in warm-up match - Feb 13, 2011
Tags: captain brad, captain ricky ponting, david hussey, david warner, ground chairman, henriques, hilditch, indian test, michael clarke, mike hussey, mitche, nathan bracken, national selection, new south wales, selection panel, south african campaign, sydney cricket ground, vice captain, wicket keeper, workload management