Ponting for “different” approach in T20 formatNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:37 am ICT by admin
Pointing out that any mistake made in T20 games can be “magnified very quickly,” Ponting said the team made too many faults giving the game to India.
“As you saw tonight…getting the first ball spelled off a no ball and the next ball too I think called it a deep square leg he tried it for a six…So, little things like that you can’t afford to happen in the game. Who knows had we got (Gautam) Gambhir right then it might have been a different game. But we made the mistake and we paid the price,” he said.
He also said that Australia looked forward to playing more matches against this younger generation of Indian cricketers.
Gambhir scored a half-century to power India to a seven-wicket victory over the visiting Australian team in a one-off Twenty20 international. The left-handed opener cracked 63 and shared two useful partnerships to help the hosts, the World Champions in this form of the game, achieve the target of 167 with 11 balls to spare.
Lauding the innings of Gambhir and Robin Uthappa, Indian captain Mahendra Dhoni said that the youngsters like them have matured, and they were playing sensibly.
“I think in Twenty20 we are using more head than in the 50 overs game. They are batting really well and aggressive,” Dhoni said.
Meanwhile, a bevy of Bollywood stars, including Shah Rukh Khan and Sunil Shetty with their wives Gauri and Mana, and actress Deepika Padukone, were present for the match to cheer on the Indian team.
Padukone said the national team played excellently.
“Congratulations, and I think he’s (Dhoni) done a good job leading the team…I think Gambhir played well,” she said.
Padukone rebuffed speculations that she was specially invited to the match by the Indian skipper.
“No, I am here as any spectator and I was here to cheer the team,” she said. (ANI)
- Gambhir can't be compared to MSD as t20 captain: Ganguly - May 28, 2012
- We are backing ourselves to chase any total: Dhoni - Oct 21, 2011
- Despite loss, Dhoni best T-20 captain: Ganguly (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- It would be exciting to play against Steyn: Kallis - Apr 10, 2011
- Dhoni frowns at Eden Pitch, calls it slow and difficult - Oct 29, 2011
- We are playing IPL not to compete, but to win: Gambhir - Apr 16, 2011
- Super Kings deserved to win: Harbhajan - May 24, 2012
- Dhoni takes the blame for defeat - Sep 25, 2011
- Can India end Australia's dominance in World Cup? (Preview) - Mar 23, 2011
- Kumble hopes India's Test reverses serve as wake-up call - Jun 17, 2012
- I must improve my batting, says Sehwag - Feb 21, 2012
- India's batting falters again in Sydney (Second Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- It was like playing an away game: Gambhir - May 05, 2012
- We can chase anything under 300, says Sehwag - Dec 28, 2011
- Yuvraj centre of attraction at Vizag T20 (Preview) - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: australian team, bollywood stars, deepika padukone, gauri, gautam gambhir, indian cricketers, mahendra dhoni, match, mistake, ponting, power india, shah rukh khan, square leg, sunil shetty, t20, target, try a little bit, twenty20, wicket victory