Ponting closely monitoring Flintoff’s rehabilitationMay 26th, 2009 - 5:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 26 (ANI): Australia captain Ricky Ponting is closely monitoring the progress of England all rounder Andrew Flintoff, who played a key role in his team’s victory in Ashes 2005 and is currently recovering from keyhole surgery to his right knee.
Flintoff has failed to find his 2005 form, but has been named in the England squad for the World Twenty20.
Ponting is fully aware of dangers a fully-fit Flintoff can pose to the Australian team during Ashes 2009.
“He’ll be important for them if he is 100 per cent. I think we saw the difference between him being 100 per cent fit and probably 90 per cent fit between 2005 and 2007,” The Independent quoted Ponting, as saying.
“I’ll be keeping a close eye on him through the Twenty20s, just to see how fit and good he is.
Ponting admitted that a series victory in England is what he really craves.
“That’s certainly one thing that will be missing off my resume as captain of this team. Obviously 2005 didn’t go the way we would have liked and there was a lot made of the tour,” he added.
Ponting said the chemistry gained from that series in South Africa has done wonders for the team and hopes it will continue in England.
“I think the chemistry was one of the great things that we had in South Africa,” he said.
The first Ashes Test will start in Cardiff on July 8. (ANI)
- Johnson has potential of becoming Australia's Andrew Flintoff: Geoff Boycott - Dec 20, 2010
- Freddie Flintoff may not be a success in Ashes: Ponting - May 30, 2009
- Pietersen to ECB: Let me play full IPL or else... - Aug 08, 2012
- Australia '100 per cent behind' stand-in captain Clarke: Haddin - Dec 31, 2010
- Use Flintoff as Larwood to give Ponting 'Bodyline' chin music during Ashes: Chappell - Jul 07, 2010
- Clarke admits role in Ponting's axing - Feb 23, 2012
- Cautious Clarke raises World Cup risk factor - Jan 21, 2011
- England hopeful about winning against Pakistan - Sep 05, 2010
- Players back injured Ponting to play in Boxing Day Test - Dec 23, 2010
- Flintoff confident of playing in Ashes - Jun 11, 2009
- Chappell prefers Ponting over Waugh to lead Australia - Oct 17, 2010
- Flintoff confident England will beat Australia in Ashes series - Nov 23, 2010
- Ponting cranks up Ashes war, taunts England about not being the real Poms - Aug 24, 2010
- 'Flintoff was an inspiration' - Jul 15, 2009
- Former England captains blast Ponting's behaviour - Dec 28, 2010