Pollard’s century gives Windies series leadMarch 24th, 2012 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Gros Islet (St.Lucia), March 24 (IANS/CMC) Big-hitting batsman Kieron Pollard smashed a brilliant century as West Indies beat Australia by 42 runs in the fourth One-day international to take a crucial 2-1 lead in the five-match series.
The 24-year-old right-hander slammed 102 from mere 70 balls and propelled the Windies to a competitive 294 for seven off 50 overs.
Batting at number six, Pollard hit five fours and eight typically massive sixes in an extraordinary display that saw the West Indies plunder 117 runs from the last 10 overs of the innings.
Their bowlers, led by off-spinner Sunil Narine, then restricted Australia to 252 all out off 46.3 overs. Narine took just one wicket but his 10 overs cost only 24 runs and again, kept the brakes on the Aussie scoring.
Meanwhile, seamers Andre Russell (2-34), captain Darren Sammy (2-42), Dwayne Bravo (2-47) and Kemar Roach (2-74) all claimed two wickets to make inroads at key junctures.
Pollard’s innings, his second ODI century, headlined an outstanding effort from West Indies, with opener Adrian Barath stroking a 41 and partner Johnson Charles getting 37.
Australia had little answer to the Windies onslaught with medium pacer Shane Watson (2-55), left-arm spinner Xavier Doherty (2-64) and speedster Brett Lee (2-72) struggling to contain the flow of runs.
Lee rattled a few nerves with five fours and five sixes- including 24 runs off one Roach over - but he eventually holed out in the deep off the same bowler to hand the Windies victory.
The experienced David Hussey stroked 57 from 54 balls but West Indies held their nerve well to put themselves in a strong position to take their first series win over the Aussies in 17 years.
- West Indies end five-year drought against Australia - Mar 19, 2012
- Windies go down fighting as series ends tied - Mar 26, 2012
- Windies slump to defeat after batting collapse - Mar 17, 2012
- Windies, Australia to size up in Beausejour after dramatic tie - Mar 23, 2012
- Windies rally but facing huge task to beat Aussies - Apr 26, 2012
- Jaded Windies lose opening T20 to Australia - Mar 28, 2012
- Windies, Australia in dramatic last-over tie - Mar 21, 2012
- Windies overcome Taylor century, win series - Jul 15, 2012
- Gayle, Pollard shine as Windies break winless slide - Jul 01, 2012
- Narine says Windies pumped up for third ODI - Mar 20, 2012
- Narine undermines New Zealand as Windies win series 4-1 - Jul 17, 2012
- Gayle survives chance, leads Windies reply - Jul 27, 2012
- Brilliant Gayle, Samuels give West Indies 2-0 lead - Jul 08, 2012
- West Indies fightback of no avail as Australia win first Test - Apr 12, 2012
- I seized the opportunity: Sunil Narine - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: barath, bowlers, brett lee, david hussey, inroads, islet, junctures, kemar, left arm, lucia march, medium pacer, number six, plunder, pollard, right hander, shane watson, sixes, west indies, wicket, wickets