Polish court to hear appeals by jailed Russian fansJuly 10th, 2012 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, July 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A court in Warsaw will hold hearings Tuesday on the appeal by three Russian football fans jailed in Poland on charges of hooliganism during Euro 2012 football championship, the Russian embassy said.
At least 162 Poles and 25 Russians were arrested after Polish hooligans attacked several thousand Russian supporters marching to celebrate a national holiday before the two sides played out a 1-1 draw June 12.
Only three Russian fans, who received up to three-month jail terms following the clashes, remain in custody.
The Russian Football Union (RFU) was fined a total of 215,000 euros for fan hooliganism after three group games that ended with Russia’s elimination from the tournament.
Russia was also fined 120,000 euros and given a suspended six-point deduction for the next qualification tournament when some fans assaulted Polish stewards, reportedly leaving four requiring hospital treatment after the game against the Czech Republic June 8.
The pyrotechnics use, illicit banners and pitch invasion of Russian fans during a second group match against co-hosts Poland in Warsaw resulted in another 30,000 euros penalty.
- UEFA fines Russia and Spain over racism - Jun 29, 2012
- Polish president slams hooliganism at Euro 2012 - Jun 15, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russian midfielder Dzagoev asks fans to behave - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia fined 120,000 euros for crowd trouble - Jun 14, 2012
- Russian interior ministry confirms fans' arrests - Jun 10, 2012
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- Moscow tightens security for Polish embassy - Jun 16, 2012
- Alleged Polish hooligan leader detained: Police - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Over 100 arrested in Warsaw clashes - Jun 13, 2012
- Seven Russian fans remain in Polish custody - Jul 03, 2012
- UEFA proceeds English FA over fans' pitch invasion - Jun 17, 2012
- Russia calls on Poland to prevent more football violence - Jun 13, 2012
- UEFA must punish Russian FA over flare: Polish FA - Jun 11, 2012
- Over 180 arrested in Warsaw football clashes: Police (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Russian fans clash with Polish police - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: euro 2012, football championship, football fans, group games, hooliganism, hooligans, jail terms, national holiday, pitch invasion, polish court, pyrotechnics, qualification tournament, rfu, ria novosti, russian embassy, russian fans, russian football union, second group, several thousand, stewards