Polish border guards ready for Euro 2012May 23rd, 2012 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, May 23 (IANS) The Polish border guards are fully prepared for the June-beginning Euro 2012 football championship, guard deputy commander Marek Borkowski announced in the city of Bialystok, northeast Poland.
In April, border guard, customs service, transport inspection and police units practiced border procedures on check-points to Lithuania in preparation for the arrival of Euro fans to Poland.
Borkowski said Tuesday that border guards were prepared for both regular checkpoint work and to ensure steady traffic flow to prevent traffic jams.
He added that border guard units on high-traffic checkpoints will be enlarged during Euro 2012. Borkowski said that all vacations have been cancelled for border guards for the duration of the championship.
The 16-nation Euro 2012 soccer championships, slated for June 8-July 1, 2012, will take place in four Polish cities of Warsaw, Gdansk, Wroclaw and Poznan as well as four Ukrainian cities of Kiev, Lvov, Donetsk and Kharkov.
- Tango 12 named official ball of Euro 2012 - Nov 30, 2011
- Polish cops to assist in Ukraine during Euro 2012 - Mar 14, 2012
- Handbook ready for football fans ahead of Euro 2012 - May 22, 2012
- Ban on smoking and tobacco ads at Euro 2012 - Oct 21, 2011
- Security preparations for Euro 2012 in final phase: Polish official - Dec 07, 2011
- Warsaw takes training to help blind fans at Euro 2012 - Mar 14, 2012
- UEFA pleased with Euro 2012 preparations, says Ukraine - Nov 22, 2011
- Ready for Euro 2012: Polish PM - Mar 23, 2012
- Poland claims it is well prepared for Euro 2012 - May 09, 2012
- Shortage of public toilets for Euro 2012 - Feb 23, 2012
- Stay off during Euro 2012, Polish PM tells protesters - May 19, 2012
- Poland opens Police Command Center for Euro 2012 - Feb 29, 2012
- Blind fans to enjoy Euro 2012 - Apr 04, 2012
- Blind Ukrainians to enjoy soccer with headphones - Apr 04, 2012
- 29 percent of Poles believe country ready for Euro 2012 - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: bialystok, border guard, border guards, customs service, deputy commander, donetsk, euro 2012, football championship, kharkov, lvov, northeast poland, police units, polish border, polish cities, service transport, soccer championships, steady traffic, traffic flow, traffic jams, ukrainian cities