Poland sacks Euro 2012 main stadium overseerFebruary 15th, 2012 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, Feb 15 (IANS) Rafal Kapler, the chief of the National Sport Centre overseeing the construction of Warsaw’s new National Stadium, has been dismissed from his post ahead of the Euro 2012 Football Championships.
Kapler will be replaced by his deputy Robert Wojtas.
Polish Sports Minister Joanna Mucha said she would accept Kapler’s resignation.
Kapler was quoted as saying by Xinhua that his share in building the National Stadium “had come to an end”. “As an executive, I am convinced this magnificent object has the potential to become not only an entertainment and culture center, but also a profitable undertaking.”
Prime Minister Donald Tusk declined to comment on Kapler’s dismissal.
Polish Super Cup final, scheduled Feb 11 to be played in the arena, had to be cancelled due to safety drawbacks.
The National Stadium is being built whereas the National Sport Centre was founded in 2007 by then Sports Minister Elzbieta Jakubiak.
Euro 2012, to take place from June 8 to July 1, 2012, will be co-hosted by the Ukraine and Poland. The matches will be played in Poland’s Warsaw, Poznan, Gdansk and Ukraine’s Kiev, Lvov, Kharkov and Donetsk cities.
- Ready for Euro 2012: Polish PM - Mar 23, 2012
- Ban on smoking and tobacco ads at Euro 2012 - Oct 21, 2011
- Tango 12 named official ball of Euro 2012 - Nov 30, 2011
- Polish cops to assist in Ukraine during Euro 2012 - Mar 14, 2012
- Shortage of public toilets for Euro 2012 - Feb 23, 2012
- Stay off during Euro 2012, Polish PM tells protesters - May 19, 2012
- UEFA pleased with Euro 2012 preparations, says Ukraine - Nov 22, 2011
- Polish border guards ready for Euro 2012 - May 23, 2012
- Ukraine's Euro 2012 preparations enter home stretch: President - May 31, 2012
- Poland claims it is well prepared for Euro 2012 - May 09, 2012
- Blind Ukrainians to enjoy soccer with headphones - Apr 04, 2012
- Euro 2012: Polish government launches social campaign - May 26, 2012
- Blind fans to enjoy Euro 2012 - Apr 04, 2012
- Security preparations for Euro 2012 in final phase: Polish official - Dec 07, 2011
- Warsaw takes training to help blind fans at Euro 2012 - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: culture center, donald tusk, donetsk, elzbieta, euro 2012, football championships, gdansk, joanna, kharkov, kiev, lvov, national sport centre, overseer, poznan, rafal, resignation, sacks, warsaw, wojtas, xinhua