Poland coach urges calm before crucial Euro openerJune 8th, 2012 - 3:30 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, June 8 (IANS) Poland coach Franciszek Smuda has said his team must keep calm ahead of the crucial Euro 2012 opener against Greece here Friday.
“Now, It is better to be calm than to talk too much,” Smuda told the pre-match press conference at the Warsaw National Stadium.
One of the co-hosts, Poland were drawn into the “weaker” Group A which also comprises Russia, Greece and the Czech Republic.
High expectation lies on Poland who boasts home advantage plus striker Robert Lewandowski, playmaker Jakub Blaszczkowski, and defender Lukasz Piszczek, the axis of Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund, reported Xinhua.
“For sure, we will play all out to win the match. But looking back to Euro history, there were many draws in the opening games,” Smuda said. “But a draw means we are still in the tournament. We still have two matches to play and we still have a chance.”
The coach, who has managed Poland for two and a half years, expressed his hope that his team can be a dark horse.
Poland is competing in Euro finals for only the second time. In 2008, they failed to survive the group stage, earning one tie and two losses.
- Euro 2012 Group A Preview: No big names, evenly-matched - Jun 05, 2012
- I expected more from the Poles: Russia's Izmailov - Jun 11, 2012
- Euro 2012: Czechs stun hosts Poland 1-0, top Group A (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Dortmund humble Bayern to win German Cup - May 13, 2012
- Poland, Greece draw Euro 2012 opener - Jun 09, 2012
- Euro exit bitter pill to swallow: Poland's outgoing coach - Jun 17, 2012
- Euro 2012: Polish blast blows Group A wide open - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia coach Advocaat not to make changes for Poland - Jun 12, 2012
- Bundesliga leaders Dortmund five clear of Bayern with win over Cologne - Mar 26, 2012
- Fornalik is new Poland football coach - Jul 11, 2012
- Reigning champion Dortmund defeat Bremen in season opener - Aug 25, 2012
- Dortmund close in on Bundesgila title - Apr 15, 2012
- Dortmund reaches semifinals at German Cup - Feb 08, 2012
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Spain favourites, Russia outsiders: Advocaat - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: axis, czech republic, dark horse, draws, euro 2012, euro finals, group stage, high expectation, home advantage, jakub, lukasz piszczek, match, playmaker, poland, robert lewandowski, second time, smuda, two and a half years, warsaw, xinhua