Podium for Aditya in Formula BMW Pacific seriesMarch 22nd, 2008 - 9:25 pm ICT by admin
By Anand Philar
Kuala Lumpur, March 22 (IANS) Aditya Patel, a 19-year-old from Chennai, grabbed the third spot in the Formula BMW Pacific series amid heavy rain here Saturday as he made his debut in international singles-seater racing. Starting seventh on the grid, Aditya, driving for Team Eurasia, improved his position in the very first lap as the heavy rain that lashed the Sepang circuit caught out a couple of the front-runners.
Within a couple of laps, the 2007 Indian national racing champion moved up to third spot that he nursed to the finish line as Ross Jamison won and Simon Moss finished second.
Earlier, India’s Karun Chandhok and Armaan Ebrahim tangled with five laps to go and points eluded them in the Formula GP2 race.
The incident occurred towards the end of a chaotic race that saw only 13 of the 26 cars completing the 34-lap event.
Karun made a desperate lunge on the side on a left-hander trying to get past Armaan, but hit a water puddle and slid, leading to a collision.
After the race, Karun admitted his mistake.
“Yes, it was a mistake on my part. I dived into the corner, but hit a water puddle and after that, there was no way I could control the car. I slammed into Armaan and both of us went off. I apologized to Armaan for my mistake and it’s sad that the race had to end this way for the two of us,” he said.
Armaan was equally frustrated by the incident.
“Just five more laps, and both of us could have finished in points. I didn’t expect Karun to make that move because I had taken the dry line through the corner. I thought I was on pace and was looking forward to scoring my first point,” he said.
Having survived the chaos, Vitaly Petrov (Barwa International), Fairuz Fauzy (Super Nova) and Jerome D’Ambrosio (DAMS) finished 1-2-3.
- Armaan misses out on points at Spa rounds of F2 - Jun 27, 2011
- D'Ambrosio to replace Grosjean for Italian GP - Sep 05, 2012
- Armaan finishes 12th after shunt - Apr 02, 2012
- Armaan disappoints at Magny-Cours race - May 16, 2011
- Alonso wins dramatic Malaysian GP, Force India in top-10 - Mar 25, 2012
- Moscow Raceway lacks zing: Petrov - Jul 15, 2012
- Karun, Armaan out of points in GP2 Asia - Mar 23, 2008
- Bumpy ride for Karthikeyan and Chandhok - Oct 23, 2011
- i1Super Series drivers to be unveiled Monday - Dec 19, 2011
- Chandhok finishes seventh at Silverstone - Aug 27, 2012
- Armaan finishes sixth at Brands Hatch - Jul 24, 2011
- Sixth for Force India; Karun 20th in German Grand Prix - Jul 24, 2011
- Aditya fourth at Scirocco R-Cup racing series - Jun 06, 2011
- Karthikeyan confident of better show in Malaysia - Mar 19, 2012
- i1 Series car gets the nod from drivers - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: aditya, anand, armaan, barwa, d ambrosio, fairuz fauzy, finish line, formula bmw, formula gp2, front runners, heavy rain, international singles, jamison, karun, lap event, left hander, lunge, sepang circuit, simon moss, vitaly petrov