PNB, Railways enter Murugappa Gold Cup hockey semisJuly 22nd, 2010 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 22 (IANS) Punjab National Bank (PNB) and Indian Railways joined Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) in the semifinals of the 86th All-India MCC-Murugappa Gold Cup hockey tournament here Wednesday.
PNB, thanks to goals by Bruno Logun (12th) and Satpal Singh (33rd), edged past Hockey India Juniors 2-0 for their third win and finished second IOCL with nine points in pool B.
Indian Railways, requiring just a draw to advance to the semis, did just that with a 2-2 verdict against Namdhari XI. The draw placed Railways behind ONGC in second spot in pool A with eight points.
IOCL finished their league engagements with an unbeaten record after outplaying Bharat Petroleum 5-1 for their fourth consecutive victory.
In the semifinals, scheduled for Saturday after a day’s break Friday, ONGC take on PNB while IOCL face Indian Railways.
The Railways had to fight hard for the draw after trailing 1-2 against Namadhari who were sitting pretty following goals by Gurmeet Singh (1st) and Balwinder Singh (33rd).
The early reverse shook up the Railways, but they kept their composure to score through Jayakaran (11th) and then Innocent Kullu knocked in the second equalizer in the 45th minute.
Thereafter, the Railways virtually downed the shutters to ensure a draw to book their berth in the semi-finals.
Later, in an inconsequential game, IOCL left nothing to chance to rout BPCL 5-1. Former India forward Roshan Minz scored twice (30th, 68th) while Hamza Mujtaba (49th), Ramachandra Raghunath (54th) and Deepak Thakur (59th) completed the rout.
BPCL drew some consolation through a goal by Jarnail Singh in the 31st minute, but spent much of the match defending.
- MCC-Murugappa Hockey: BPCL, Air India enter semis - Sep 14, 2012
- Big win for Indian Oil - Sep 09, 2012
- ONGC through to Murugappa hockey semifinals - Jul 19, 2010
- ONGC storm into semis - Sep 12, 2012
- IOCL advance into Murugappa Gold Cup hockey semis - Jul 20, 2010
- IOCL, ONGC in Murugappa final - Jul 24, 2010
- Murugappa Hockey: Railways, Army XI still in contention - Jul 21, 2010
- Muruguppa Gold Cup: Full points for Hockey India juniors, PNB - Jul 17, 2010
- Air India rout Railways - Sep 06, 2012
- Punjab and Sind Bank beat Namdhari XI in Nehru hockey - Nov 22, 2011
- Murugappa Gold Cup hockey: Army, IOCL bag full points - Jul 16, 2010
- Murugappa Gold Cup hockey gets richer - Jul 14, 2010
- ONGC edge past BPCL to top pool in Murugappa hockey - Oct 08, 2009
- MCC-Murugappa Hockey: Army XI draw with ONGC - Sep 11, 2012
- BPCL qualify for semis in Murugappa Gold Cup hockey - Oct 07, 2009
Tags: bharat petroleum, consecutive victory, cup hockey, deepak thakur, gurmeet singh, indian oil, indian oil corporation, indian railways, iocl, jarnail singh, juniors 2, kullu, left nothing, logun, namdhari, ongc, punjab national bank, punjab national bank pnb, ramachandra, satpal singh