PM congratulates SainaAugust 4th, 2012 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 4 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh congratulated Saina Nehwal on her winning the bronze medal in women’s Badminton at the 2012 London Olympics, a statement from Prime Minister’s Office said Saturday.
Saina was declared winner of the women’s singles bronze when her opponent Wang Xin of China broke down with a knee injury after taking the opening game.
Nehwal, ranked fifth in the world, becomes only the second Indian woman to win a medal in an individual Olympic sport.
Wang, a former World No.1 and current No.2, hurt her knee when she landed heavily on her right knee following a jump smash.
She had it taped up and went back on court to smash a winner and take the first game, but collapsed on the second point of the second game, and promptly conceded.
The score was 21-18, 1-0 in the favour of the Chinese shuttler.
- Olympics: Wang retires to hand Saina badminton bronze (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Andhra celebrates second bronze medal at Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina brings India third medal (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Saina aims for gold in Rio - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Li Xuerui beats No.1 Wang for gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Superb Saina wins India's third medal at London Olympics (India Round-up) - Aug 04, 2012
- Saina changes Bejing heartbreak into Olympic bronze (Profile) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic badminton: World No.1 Wang Yihan too good for Saina (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Saina would have won anyway: Gopichand - Aug 04, 2012
- Chinese badminton head coach blames referee for player's injury - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, Saina gets rousing reception (India Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Saina deserved the medal for her sheer commitment, says father - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Saina wins India's third medal, Paes-Sania out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- I can hope and try, not predict: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Jul 16, 2012
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, badminton, bronze medal, china, favour, first game, indian woman, knee injury, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, olympic sport, olympics, opponent, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, saina, score, second game, xin