PM congratulates Olympic medallist Mary KomAugust 8th, 2012 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday congratulated M.C. Mary Kom on winning the bronze medal in women’s boxing at 2012 London Olympics.
“I join the nation in congratulating boxer Mary Kom for winning the Olympic bronze medal in the 51kg women’s boxing event. She showed great discipline and determination and has done India proud,” Singh said in a statement.
Mary Kom created history by becoming the country’s first woman boxer to win a medal at the Olympics.
Mary Kom, however, had to settle for the bronze as she went down fighting in her 51kg semi-final bout against local favourite Nicola Adams.
The 29-year-old Manipuri also became the second Indian boxer after Vijender Singh to win an Olympic medal. Vijender got a bronze in Beijing fours years ago.
Buoyed by the presence of British Prime Minister David Cameron and star professional boxer Amir Khan, second-seed Nicola put on a flawless performance while beating the Indian 11-6 at the packed ExCel Arena.
- President congratulates Mary Kom - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom wins a historic bronze (India Round-up) - Aug 09, 2012
- Mary creates history, Devendro misses out (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom goes down fighting, takes bronze (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom settles for bronze - Aug 08, 2012
- Satisfied with my effort: Mary Kom - Aug 08, 2012
- Mary Kom in semis, Vijender suffers heartbreaking loss (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Mary Kom moves closer to Olympic berth - May 15, 2012
- Olympic bronze not the end of my road: Mary Kom (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Mary Kom, Vijender a win away from medal (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Will give my best for a bigger medal, says Mary Kom - Aug 06, 2012
- Mary Kom slams level of refereeing at London Olympics - Aug 14, 2012
- Life comes a full circle for Mary Kom (Profile) - Aug 08, 2012
- Indian boxers need to punch with more meat - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, amir khan, boxer amir khan, british prime minister, david cameron, final bout, first woman, flawless performance, manipuri, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister david, New Delhi, olympic bronze medal, olympic medal, olympic medallist, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, professional boxer, woman boxer