Playing golf can add 5yrs to your lifeMay 31st, 2008 - 11:59 am ICT by admin
Washington, May 31 (ANI): Golf has beneficial health effects and may increase life expectancy, according to a Swedish study.
Researchers at the medical university Karolinska Institutet analysed data about 300,000 Swedish golfers, and found that the death rate was 40 per cent lower among them as compared to the rest of the population.
The researchers noted that that equated an increased life expectancy of five years.
Professor Anders Ahlbom, who has led the study with Bahman Farahmand, said that there were several aspects of the game that might keep a golfer in good health.
“A round of golf means being outside for four or five hours, walking at a fast pace for six to seven kilometres, something which is known to be good for the health,” he said.
“People play golf into old age, and there are also positive social and psychological aspects to the game that can be of help,” he added.
The researcher conceded that factors other than the actual playinglike a generally healthy lifestylewere also behind the lower death rate.
He, however, insisted that it just might be possible that playing the game in itself has a significant impact on health.
Professor Ahlbom pointed out that the golfers were found to have a lower death rate irrespective of sex, age, and social group.
He further revealed that the effect was greater for golfers from blue-collar professions than for those from white-collar professions.
Golfers with the lowest handicap (the best golfers) had the lowest rates, he added.
“Maintaining a low handicap involves playing a lot, so this supports the idea that it is largely the game itself that is good for the health,” Professor Ahlbom said.
The study has been published in Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. (ANI)
- Let me play: golf prolongs life by five years! - May 31, 2008
- Poor work ability linked to faster deterioration of health - Feb 01, 2011
- Stroke risk much higher if sibling had stroke - Apr 11, 2012
- Sleep apnea therapy 'helps golfers improve their game' - Nov 03, 2009
- Too little sleep? You could age by seven years - May 02, 2011
- First golf course rating seminar held in India - Aug 27, 2011
- Conflicts, stress at work can trigger taking sick leave - Mar 23, 2011
- Why do model employees tend to give up? - Jun 03, 2012
- Hypertension more common among people retiring from low-status jobs - Jun 10, 2009
- Jobless men 'at greater risk of dying prematurely' - Apr 05, 2011
- Getting along with co-workers ensures longer life - May 11, 2011
- Obesity no bar to fitness and health - Sep 05, 2012
- Vegetables, grain cut stroke risk in women - Dec 04, 2011
- David for Edinburgh Cup golf - Sep 10, 2012
- Brain areas responsible for spirituality revealed - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: collar professions, death rate, farahmand, golfers, good health, handicap, health effects, journal of medicine, kilometres, life expectancy, medical university, playing golf, playing the game, psychological aspects, scandinavian journal, sex age, significant impact, social group, study researchers, swedish study