Pinki’s human rights violated, says women’s rights group (Lead)July 12th, 2012 - 1:40 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 12 (IANS) Alleging that the state machinery has violated athlete Pinki Pramanik’s human rights, a women’s rights group has requested the West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) to keep a strict vigil on the investigation process.
“Pinki Pramanik faces serious accusations that must be thoroughly investigated with fairness to both the parties. The investigation conducted by the state machinery so far has harassed and humiliated her… and prima facie severely violated her human rights,” said a letter from women’s rights body Maitree to the WBHRC.
The letter said male police officials escorted Pramanik, and she was kept with male inmates and made a public spectacle.
It also criticised “the rampant procedural violations and the media trial” that Pramanik was subjected to.
“We request you to keep a strict vigil over the procedure,” the group said.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Women's rights group seeks close vigil in Pinki case - Jul 11, 2012
- Rights panel moved to help jailed Pinki Pramanik - Jul 03, 2012
- Court asks for West Bengal report on Pinki probe - Jul 06, 2012
- Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bail (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Court seeks report on Pinki case - Jul 07, 2012
- Pinki released from jail, alleges being framed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Pinki's gender test report reaches hospital - Jul 09, 2012
- PIL in Calcutta High Court to seek Pinki's release - Jul 05, 2012
- Pinki case: Human rights group demands statement from Mamata - Jul 11, 2012
- Senior official got extension despite CVC's objections? - Apr 27, 2011
- Pinki files theft complaint against live-in partner - Jul 15, 2012
- Pinki reinstated in Railway job, joins duty - Aug 10, 2012
- Pinki denied bail, remanded to further judicial custody - Jun 29, 2012
- MMS showing Pinki undergoing gender test goes viral online - Jul 02, 2012
- Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bail - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: accusations, asian news, athlete, fairness, human rights commission, indo, investigation process, maitree, male inmates, news service, pinki, pnt, police officials, pramanik, procedural violations, public spectacle, ssp, state machinery, strict vigil, west bengal