Pinki undergoes sex testJune 19th, 2012 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 19 (IANS) Asian Games gold medallist athlete Pinki Pramanik, accused of being a male and currently remanded in judicial custody for alleged rape, underwent a gender determination test Tuesday, police said.
“Pramanik underwent a gender determination test at a government hospital Tuesday. The report would be available shortly,” Rajib Kumar, commissioner of police for Bidhannagar (North 24-Parganas), said.
A seven-member medical board was constituted at the Barasat sub-divisional hospital where the athlete underwent the test.
The athlete had earlier twice refused to undergo the test.
Pramanik was arrested late Thursday night and remanded in 14 days’ judicial custody by a court Friday after the athlete’s live-in partner, a divorcee and a mother of one, filed a police complaint accusing the athlete of being a male who repeatedly “raped and tortured” her.
Subsequent to the arrest, Pramanik was taken to a private nursing home for a medical check-up where the test reports showed that the former athlete was indeed a male.
Pramanik, however, claimed innocence and said it was a conspiracy.
Pramanik, who retired from athletics three years ago, won gold in the 4×400 metres relay at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha in Qatar. She was a silver medallist at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games the same year.
The Eastern Railway with which the athlete is a ticket collector Sunday suspended Pramanik following her remand to judicial custody.
- Pinki undergoes medical test, result Tuesday - Jun 18, 2012
- Pinki to undergo medical test Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Pinki to face gender test Monday - Jun 16, 2012
- Pinki undergoes sex test (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Asiad gold medallist sent to judicial custody for 'rape' (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Athlete Pinki undergoes gender test again in Kolkata - Jun 25, 2012
- Pinki denied bail, remanded to further judicial custody - Jun 29, 2012
- Pinki Pramanik suspended from railways' job - Jun 17, 2012
- Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bail - Jul 10, 2012
- It's a conspiracy, says family of arrested Asiad medallist (Second lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pinki files theft complaint against live-in partner - Jul 15, 2012
- Pinki undergoes gender test, medical board seeks more time (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Athlete Pinki's blood sample taken for chromosomal test - Jul 02, 2012
- New case filed against Pinki Pramanik - Jul 13, 2012
- Pinki released from jail, alleges being framed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: asian games, athlete, commissioner of police, divorcee, doha, eastern railway, games gold, gender determination, gold medallist, government hospital, judicial custody, medical board, medical check, melbourne commonwealth games, police complaint, remand, sex test, silver medallist, test reports, ticket collector