Pinki to face gender test MondayJune 16th, 2012 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 16 (IANS) Asian Games gold medallist athlete Pinki Pramanik, accused of being a male and held for alleged rape, will Monday undergo gender determination test at a West Bengal government hospital, police said Saturday.
“The court has ordered to conduct the test by June 29. We are trying to convince the athlete to go for the medical examination. We will take the sportsperson for the test on Monday at a government hospital,” Rajib Kumar, commissioner of police for Bidhannagar, in North 24-Parganas, told IANS.
Pramanik was arrested late Thursday night and remanded to 14 days’ judicial custody by a court Friday after the athlete’s live-in partner, a divorcee and a mother of one, filed a police complaint accusing the athlete of being a male who repeatedly “raped and tortured” her.
On the orders of the court, a medical board was formed for a medical examination which Pramanik refused twice to undergo.
Following the arrest, Pramanik was taken to a private nursing home for a medical check-up where the test reports showed that the former athlete was indeed a male.
Pramanik, however, claimed innocence and said it was a conspiracy.
She won gold in the 4×400 metres relay at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha in Qatar. She was a silver medallist at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games the same year.
Pramanik retired from athletics three years ago and is now a ticket collector with Eastern Railways.
- Pinki undergoes sex test - Jun 19, 2012
- Pinki to undergo medical test Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Pinki undergoes medical test, result Tuesday - Jun 18, 2012
- Asiad gold medallist sent to judicial custody for 'rape' (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Arrested for rape, Asiad gold medallist Pinki presented in court - Jun 15, 2012
- Gold medallist Pinki accused of being male, held for 'rape' (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bail - Jul 10, 2012
- New case filed against Pinki Pramanik - Jul 13, 2012
- It's a conspiracy, says family of arrested Asiad medallist (Second lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pinki released from jail, alleges being framed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Athlete Pinki's blood sample taken for chromosomal test - Jul 02, 2012
- Pinki undergoes gender test, medical board seeks more time (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Athlete Pinki undergoes gender test again in Kolkata - Jun 25, 2012
- MMS showing Pinki undergoing gender test goes viral online - Jul 02, 2012
- Pinki files theft complaint against live-in partner - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: asian games, commissioner of police, divorcee, eastern railways, games gold, gender determination, gender test, gold medallist, government hospital, judicial custody, medical board, medical check, medical examination, melbourne commonwealth games, police complaint, silver medallist, sportsperson, test reports, ticket collector, west bengal government