Pinki: I was treated like animal, blackmailedJuly 11th, 2012 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 11 (IANS) Asian Games gold medallist Pinki Pramanik, released from jail Wednesday, alleged that she was treated like an animal during gender tests and blackmailed for money by the complainant.
“When the gender tests were conducted in the hospital, I was treated like an animal,” said Pinki, who was freed after 26 days in judicial custody for allegedly raping her live-in partner, a divorcee and a mother of one.
The athlete was granted bail by the district and sessions judge of North 24-Parganas district Tuesday.
Accusing police of harassment, Pinki said: “I was only waiting for my medical report. Police have been harassing me even after my release from the jail.”
Pinki was arrested June 14 and remanded in judicial custody by a court the next day after the athlete’s partner filed a complaint accusing Pinki of being a male who repeatedly “raped and tortured” her.
The athlete gives a different version.
“She demanded money long back, which I could not give. So she framed me in connivance with police. She is trying to frame me further,” Pinki said.
“I confronted her when my gold chain was stolen, but she threatened me that she would make my photos with her public. So I was forced into silence.”
The athlete said she told police to conduct a gender test of the complainant too. “But they didn’t listen.”
Pinki recalled the happenings June 14 when she was arrested.
“I was forcibly put into a police van. That night, they conducted a medical test on me. I was made unconscious, and when I came to my senses I found my hands and legs tied up.”
The Asian Games gold medalist is also planning to call on Sports Minister Madan Mitra for help. “My father has already met him,” Pinki said.
Having spent 26 days in jail, Pinki is not sure whether things would be normal again. “These nightmarish memories will be there. I don’t know whether I can ever return to normal life.”
The athlete still seems in a daze after the trauma of jail custody and after being moved from one hospital to another for gender tests.
An MMS of the medical examination, showing the athlete in the nude, went viral online.
“I can’t say where I stand now,” said Pinki, who is from Tilakdi in Purulia district and who brought laurels to the country by winning gold in the 4×400 metres relay at the 2006 Asian Games in Qatar and a silver at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games the same year.
- Pinki alleges harassment in police custody (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Pinki released from jail, alleges being framed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Pinki case: Human rights group demands statement from Mamata - Jul 11, 2012
- Pinki files theft complaint against live-in partner - Jul 15, 2012
- Pinki's treatment unjustified: NCW - Jul 12, 2012
- MMS showing Pinki undergoing gender test goes viral online - Jul 02, 2012
- Athlete Pinki's blood sample taken for chromosomal test - Jul 02, 2012
- It's a conspiracy, says family of arrested Asiad medallist (Second lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pinki denied bail, remanded to further judicial custody - Jun 29, 2012
- Athlete Pinki undergoes gender test again in Kolkata - Jun 25, 2012
- Pinki undergoes sex test - Jun 19, 2012
- Pinki undergoes gender test, medical board seeks more time (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Pinki undergoes medical test, result Tuesday - Jun 18, 2012
- Pinki's gender test report reaches hospital - Jul 09, 2012
- New case filed against Pinki Pramanik - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: asian games, athlete, complainant, connivance, divorcee, games gold, gender test, gold chain, gold medalist, gold medallist, harassment, judicial custody, june 14, madan, medical report, medical test, mitra, police van, pramanik, senses