Pietersen, Rudolf have blood on their hands!June 2nd, 2009 - 4:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 2 (ANI): Cricketers Kevin Pietersen and Jacques Rudolf were both involved in bizarre accidents on Monday.
A schoolboy cricketer needed stitches in his head after being hit by a speeding ball struck by Pietersen, while Rudolf, fielding for Lancashire in a match against Yorkshire, retrieved the lifeless bird from the pitch and disposed of it over the boundary.
According to The Telegraph, Reece Topley was one of eight young bowlers selected from all over the country for a day of training with stars under the supervision of England fielding coach Kevin Shine.
Reece Topley, 15, needed hospital treatment after being hit while bowling to Pietersen who was visiting Loughborough University.
The teenager needed stitches to his ear.
“Despite suffering the injury I thoroughly enjoyed the experience,” said Reece whose father is former Essex cricketer Don Topley.
Peietersen has promised Reece a new cricket bat to make up for the injury. South African star Rudolph had launched the ball towards Yorkshire’s wicket keeper from just inside the boundary rope when he accidentally floored the bird that was flying at around 40 feet above ground.
After mistakenly sinking the unfortunate pigeon, fielder Rudolph retrieved the lifeless bird from the pitch and disposed of it over the boundary in front of spectators inside Yorkshire’s ground at Headingley, Leeds.
Rudolph then returned to his fielding position on the boundary, before waving sheepishly to the cheering home crowd. (ANI)
- Trott, Patel help England post a challenging total against India (Lead) - Oct 20, 2011
- Rahane shines as India take 3-0 lead against England (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2011
- Pietersen rates maiden IPL century as best Twenty20 innings - Apr 19, 2012
- Strauss and Pietersen steady England innings (Lunch report) - Jul 29, 2011
- Ponting, Clarke double centuries put Australia in command (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- England consolidate with Pietersen double century (Roundup) - Jul 23, 2011
- Strauss still not worth World Cup place, says Derek Pringle - Sep 14, 2010
- Pietersen cracks century before Praveen strikes back (Tea report) - Jul 22, 2011
- Bell, Pietersen punish ragged India (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Sehwag smashes fifth consecutive 50 in Daredevils' comprehensive win (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Kohli fined 50 percent match fees for obscene gesture - Jan 05, 2012
- Injury-hit England have much to ponder over fitness (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 09, 2011
- England rest Anderson for ODI series in India - Sep 27, 2011
- Swann lauds Pietersen, Finn - Oct 30, 2011
- England take control of second Test (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: african star, blood on their hands, bowlers, coach kevin, cricket bat, cricketers, headingley leeds, home crowd, kevin pietersen, lancashire, loughborough university, pigeon, reece, rudolf, rudolph, schoolboy, spectators, stitches, wicket keeper, yorkshire