Pietersen impressed by Yuvraj, Gayle’s hitting prowessJune 4th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 4 (ANI): England’s star batsman Kevin Pietersen is impressed by the hitting prowess of Yuvraj Singh and Chris Gayle, whom he has nominated as some of his most feared opponents.
Pietersen reckons Windies captain Gayle is one of the most dangerous Twenty20 stars in the world, and adds Andrew Symonds and Brett Lee to that list, as well as fast bowlers Fidel Edwards and Dale Steyn.
Pietersen, speaking in the official World Twenty20 programme, revealed: “There are a number of players taking T20 to the next level. I think all-rounders have the most to offer in T20 cricket.”
“I’m impressed by the likes of Yuvraj Singh of India, Andrew Symonds and other guys who can hit sixes, take wickets and generally field well,” The Sun quoted Symonds, as saying.
“I also rate Chris Gayle very highly - quite simply because his batting can tear apart even the best bowling. When he is in the groove, he is practically unstoppable. It’s scary to watch him in full flight.
“The likes of Lee, Edwards and Steyn are probably the toughest bowlers. They are world-class pace bowlers and are difficult to face across all forms of the game and certainly no easier in T20,” he added.
Pietersen also has a high regard for his England teammates: “I think Stuart Broad and Ravi Bopara could really come to the fore in this tournament. They’re very exciting players on the rise in world cricket.” (ANI)
- ICC confirms squads for World Twenty20 - Aug 25, 2012
- Injury prone Jerome Taylor to play in SPL - Jul 06, 2012
- World Cup teams: Strengths and key players - Feb 18, 2011
- Windies switching gears for Twenty20 series against Australia - Mar 27, 2012
- Stars to watch out for in IPL-V - Apr 03, 2012
- Morgan, Mendis top T20 batting and bowling rankings - Oct 24, 2011
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- Struggling Windies seek success against Black Caps (Preview) - Jun 30, 2012
- Peterson, Tahir bowl England out for 171 (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Pietersen to feature in World T20 as commentator - Aug 24, 2012
- Gayle hits back at West Indies Cricket Board - Apr 21, 2011
- West Indies cricket stands to lose by not picking Gayle: Akram - Jun 19, 2011
- Depleted Windies aim to punch up England in first T20I - Sep 23, 2011
- Gayle leaps to fourth in T20 rankings - Jul 03, 2012
- Badree gets nod ahead of Benn in Windies squad - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: Andrew Symonds, bowling, brett lee, chris gayle, dale steyn, fidel edwards, groove, kevin pietersen, lee edwards, next level, opponents, prowess, ravi bopara, rounders, star batsman, teammates, wickets, windies, world cricket, yuvraj singh