Pietersen has ‘irreconcilable differences’ with coachJanuary 1st, 2009 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 1 (IANS) England cricket captain Kevin Pietersen’s relationship with head coach Peter Moores has hit a “nadir” and could lead to one of them exiting before the Ashes series against Australia, a newspaper reported Thursday.Pietersen has called for “crisis talks” early in January with England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chairman Giles Clarke to sort out what he sees as “irreconcilable differences” between him and Moores, the Daily Telegraph reported.
“Moores endured a difficult relationship with Michael Vaughan and it is believed his successor, Pietersen, has run out of patience with the coach. Pietersen is the man with the power and it is not inconceivable that he could issue an ultimatum to the board,” said the paper.
It said both Pietersen and Moores are under pressure after being humiliated at the Standford Twenty20 series in the Caribbean last year, followed by a series defeat in India.
In the Chennai Test, won by India, “England’s plans and tactics were exposed as too rigid and inflexible by an aggressive Indian side”, the paper said.
“With relations between the pair at a nadir, Clarke could struggle to negotiate a peace between the two men. If that fails then the ECB may be forced to change captain or coach, a potentially damaging move with a wounded Australia team set to tour in the summer,” said the report.
The England team leaves on a tour of the West Indies Jan 21.
- Pietersen in ECB crisis talks over coach Moores - Jan 01, 2009
- Morris to broker peace between Pietersen and Moores - Jan 02, 2009
- ECB plays down Pietersen-Moores rift - Jan 02, 2009
- Chennai loss was tipping point for Pietersen: report - Jan 04, 2009
- Moores sacking came at the right time: Pietersen - Dec 31, 2010
- India and England cricket boards to celebrate 100th Test - Jul 20, 2011
- ECB tells Pietersen to stay away from Modi - Aug 11, 2010
- Pirate websites biggest threat for cricket: ECB - Jan 27, 2012
- Pietersen arrives back in the UK - Jan 08, 2009
- ECB fines Kevin Pietersen for Twitter outburst - May 24, 2012
- Unfortunate circumstances forced me to resign: Pieterson - Jan 08, 2009
- Giles likely to fill in if Moores loses his job - Jan 04, 2009
- PCB welcomes ECB boss Clarke's idea of sending World XI team to Pak - Aug 18, 2010
- My quitting as skipper laid England's Ashes win foundation: Pietersen - Dec 31, 2010
- ECB's World XI may tour Pakistan to end cricket isolation - Aug 17, 2010