Pietersen branded ’smarta***’ by JohnsonDecember 18th, 2010 - 2:06 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 18 (ANI): England batsman Kevin Pietersen, who irritated pacer Mitchell Johnson by sarcastically asking for his phone number on Thursday and again yesterday, was branded a ’smarta***’ by the Australian speedster, as sledging took centrestage at the Ashes.
“I think he was being a bit of a smarta***. I don’t think he was being friendly,” The Sun quoted Johnson, as saying
Johnson had the last say by taking 6-38 with a brilliant display of left-arm swing bowling, including Pietersen’s wicket for a third-ball duck.
“I didn’t give him any phone number, that’s for sure. I did say something to him but I can’t give out that information. I was pretty happy to get his wicket,” Johnson said.
“I need to keep my emotions in check. and I think I did that. I was fired up enough but also worried about where I wanted to put the ball. I enjoyed the wickets,” he said.
After Matt Prior was dismissed, the England wicketkeeper exchanged verbal volleys with fast bowler Peter Siddle and captain Ricky Ponting.
Prior made a gesture some interpreted as though he was asking Siddle outside for a fight.
But an England spokesman insisted: “Matt says there was nothing about ’see you outside’ in what happened. It was just banter, nothing more than that.” (ANI)
- Ashes 2010: Sledging expected to continue - Dec 25, 2010
- Pietersen says Johnson won't get England wickets again - Dec 23, 2010
- Get over it, Siddle tells sore losing Poms - Dec 22, 2010
- Prior, Ashes rival Siddle to play for same team - Dec 23, 2010
- The Ashes 2010: England to let their skills do the talking on the pitch, says Matt Prior - Nov 03, 2010
- Anderson's sledging 'fired me up' in Perth Ashes Test: Johnson - Dec 18, 2010
- Oz players crossed line in Perth Test: Flintoff - Dec 27, 2010
- Verbal confrontations with Aussies 'normal Ashes banter': Pietersen - Dec 22, 2010
- Ashes stars 'sledge' each other over semi-naked photo shoot for gay mag - Dec 18, 2010
- Trott ton puts England in driver's seat on day two of Boxing Day Ashes Test - Dec 27, 2010
- Siddle, Johnson say Pietersen hiding bad form by bad-mouthing Australia - Nov 23, 2010
- Ponting expects his 'boys to play with emotion' - Dec 24, 2010
- Prior denies challenging 'annoying' Siddle to a punch-up following dismissal - Dec 21, 2010
- Ashes: Siddle helps Australia bundle out England for 260 in Brisbane Test - Nov 25, 2010
- We will be better prepared against Johnson: Pietersen - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: arm swing, banter, captain ricky ponting, emotions, england batsman, gesture, kevin pietersen, left arm, mitchell johnson, pacer, ricky, siddle, smarta, speedster, spokesman, swing bowling, volleys, wicket, wicketkeeper, wickets