Pietersen arrives back in the UKJanuary 8th, 2009 - 6:43 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan.8 (ANI): Ex-England cricket captain Kevin Pietersen has arrived back home following a winter holiday in South Africa.
Greeted by photographers and reporters, Pietersen refused to make a comment on the current crisis in England cricket, and was escorted to a waiting car by police.
Pietersen quit as England skipper after only five months on Wednesday in the wake of his rift with coach Peter Moores - who was sacked.
Wednesday’’s tumultuous events leave England in disarray ahead of the tour to the West Indies and the Ashes series against Australia this summer.
England leave for the Caribbean on January 21, and the England and Wales Cricket Board will now begin its search for a new coach.
Andrew Strauss has been named as captain for the tour of the West Indies, although it is not known whether he will also take charge of the one-day and Twenty20 teams.
The ECB have announced a news conference for 3 p.m. GMT at Lord’’s, where Strauss and Hugh Morris, the ECB’’s managing director, will address the media.
Pietersen, who admitted last week his relationship with Moores was strained, has stated his desire to remain involved in the England set-up.
And former skipper Michael Vaughan, whose potential return to the England team led to a clash between Pietersen and Moores, has backed Pietersen to put the controversy behind him.
“What Kevin has to do now is go to the West Indies and score a hundred in the first Test, then it will be forgotten,” Vaughan .
Past skippers and players said that Pietersen got what he justily deserved after bringing his conflict with Moores into the public domain. (ANI)
- Andrew Strauss named England captain - Jan 08, 2009
- ECB fines Kevin Pietersen for Twitter outburst - May 24, 2012
- Unfortunate circumstances forced me to resign: Pieterson - Jan 08, 2009
- England cricket in disarray as Pietersen, Moores quit - Jan 07, 2009
- Morris to broker peace between Pietersen and Moores - Jan 02, 2009
- Pietersen did not enjoy support of team - Jan 08, 2009
- Moores sacking came at the right time: Pietersen - Dec 31, 2010
- ECB plays down Pietersen-Moores rift - Jan 02, 2009
- Flower backs out-of-sorts Strauss on eve of squad announcement - May 13, 2012
- England cricket hit as captain and coach resign: report (Lead) - Jan 07, 2009
- Kevin Pietersen retires from ODIs and T20s - May 31, 2012
- Trott survives to score half-century, England 127/2 (Tea report) - Jul 21, 2011
- Players, officials pay tributes to Dilley - Oct 06, 2011
- Pietersen, Moores told time not opportune for catastrophic changes to England set-up - Jan 03, 2009
- Fletcher warns Strauss of divisions in England dressing room - Jan 10, 2009
Tags: andrew strauss, coach andrew, coach peter, disarray, ecb, england and wales cricket board, england cricket captain, england skipper, england team, kevin pietersen, london jan, michael vaughan, moores, skippers, summer england, tumultuous events, twenty20, uk london, wales cricket board, winter holiday