Pieters out for season, might miss Euro 2012April 17th, 2012 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, April 17 (IANS) Netherlands and PSV defender Erik Pieters will miss the remainder of the Dutch football season and is in danger of missing out on Euro 2012, doctors confirmed after an examination of his ankle injury.
The 23-year-old left-back injured himself in last Wednesday’s league match against RKC Waalwijk. His right foot was put in plaster the next day. Earlier in the season, Pieters was ruled out for months after suffering a fracture in his right foot, Xinhua reported.
Pieters was re-examined in the Amsterdam AMC hospital Monday, which revealed there might be a hairline fracture in his right foot. His foot will remain plastered for three weeks, followed by a reassessment.
“It is very disappointing that it happened,” said Pieters on the PSV website. “I will stick to the program given by the medical staff. In three weeks there will be more clarity and I will give everything to get back to hundred percent fitness.”
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Feyenoord secure a Champions League prelim's ticket - May 07, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Dutch football league title becomes two-team race - Mar 26, 2012
- AZ coach Verbeek gets one-match ban - Mar 21, 2012
- Dutch fullback becomes youngest player in Euro - Jun 10, 2012
- PSV fire coach Rutten - Mar 13, 2012
- Ajax to miss Sigthorsson for four more months - Sep 13, 2012
- Krul, Fer withdraw from Dutch squad for World Cup qualifier - Sep 10, 2012
- Van Bommel signed by PSV Eindhoven - May 15, 2012
- FC Twente striker De Jong suffers ankle injury - Mar 23, 2012
- Coach Rutten to leave PSV at end of season - Dec 31, 2011
- Russia coach Advocaat to manage PSV after Euro 2012 - May 11, 2012
- Van Marwijk includes uncapped Willems, Narsingh in Euro 2012 squad - May 27, 2012
- Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against England - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: amc, amsterdam, ankle injury, clarity, doctors, dutch football, euro 2012, football season, hague, hairline fracture, match, medical staff, netherlands, plaster, psv, reassessment, remainder, right foot, rkc waalwijk, xinhua