PHF mulls organizing tourney abroad following Malaysias refusal to play in PakJanuary 14th, 2009 - 4:33 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Jan.14 (ANI): After the refusal of the Malaysian Hockey Federation (MHF) to send its squad here, the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) is now planning to send the national team abroad, for some important match practice ahead of the Asia Cup scheduled in May 2009 in Dubai.
The PHF is trying to organize a tournament abroad, with teams refusing to tour Pakistan due to the deteriorating security conditions.
“No international hockey is being played these days and the federation is making a programme to send the team to play a couple of matches and series abroad, The Nation quoted PHF Secretary Muhammad Asif Bajwa, as saying.
Bajwa said that if there would not be any financial implications, then the event can be organised at any neutral venue.
Earlier, Malaysia refused to tour Pakistan citing some internal problems.
Pakistan has not featured in an international hockey event for a while now. It refused to tour India to play in a four nation tournament featuring Holland, and Germany, further depriving itself of some world-class hockey practice. (ANI)
- Bajwa hopeful of Pakistan's good showing in Champions Trophy - Nov 17, 2011
- Pakistan confident of resuming international hockey during 2011 - Apr 27, 2011
- Pakistan hockey eyeing a podium finish in London Olympics - Jan 25, 2011
- Pakistan won't recall Abbas for Commonwealth Games - Jul 28, 2010
- Pakistan delegation to visit India for hockey revival - Aug 28, 2012
- Pakistan keen on reviving hockey series with India - Oct 28, 2010
- PHF warns players to stay away from World Series Hockey - Nov 15, 2011
- Pak hockey players get show-cause notice over WSH contracts - Apr 25, 2011
- Michel has not refused to coach Pak hockey team despite security concerns: Asif Bajwa - Jan 20, 2011
- PHF issues show cause notices to three key players - Apr 24, 2011
- Pakistan's former Olympians protest against hockey federation - Jun 12, 2012
- Indian hockey team likely to tour Pakistan at 2011 end: Asif Bajwa - Apr 09, 2011
- Pak, Holland to play charity hockey match for flood victims - Sep 02, 2010
- Pakistan to host international hockey league in Dubai - Jul 23, 2010
- Beleaguered Pak hockey team will "bounce back strongly": PHF Secretary - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: asia cup, bajwa, dubai, financial implications, germany, hockey event, hockey practice, holland, India, international hockey, lahore, malaysian hockey federation, match, muhammad asif, nation tournament, neutral venue, pakistan, phf, security conditions