Phelps suspended for three months after marijuana scandalFebruary 6th, 2009 - 12:56 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Feb 6 (ANI): Ace swimmer Michael Phelps has been barred from competition for three months after he was snapped smoking a bong at a party.
The pics published in Britain’’s News of the World, showing the eight times Olympic gold medallist using a bong, were taken in November at a University of South Carolina house party.
The 23-year-old star had also apologised for his inappropriate conduct.
USA Swimming has also temporarily withdrawing its financial support to him.
Phelps receives a monthly stipend of 1,750 dollars from the organization. The national and world championships will be held in the summer.
We decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hundreds of thousands of USA Swimming member kids who look up to him as a role model and hero, The New York Times quoted the organization as saying in a statement.
However, Phelpss agent, Drew Johnson, declined to comment.
Darryl Seibel, a spokesman for the United States Olympic Committee, said that its officials were willing to work with Phelps to ensure that he does not repeat his misstep.
Michael understands that ultimately hes accountable for what he does, and this is a consequence that resulted from a very bad decision, Seibel added. (ANI)
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Eight arrested in Michael Phelps pot puffing scandal - Feb 11, 2009
- Michael Phelps could face criminal charges for marijuana use - Feb 04, 2009
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Michael Phelps' mom pens tell-all book - Apr 03, 2009
- Fans defend Phelps after marijuana scandal - Feb 07, 2009
- Michael Phelps cozies up to girlfriend in Hawaii - Sep 01, 2010
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Michael Phelps suspended for 3 months for doping - Feb 06, 2009
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Late burst gives Phelps 100m butterfly gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Phelps wins 400m medley gold at Austin meet - Jan 15, 2012
- USA Swimming hit with another sexual abuse lawsuit - Aug 12, 2010
Tags: bad decision, eight times, gold medallist, house party, inappropriate conduct, message to michael, michael phelps, misstep, new york times, news of the world, old star, olympic gold, role model, states olympic committee, stipend, swimmer, united states olympic committee, university of south carolina, usa swimming, world championships