Phelps seeks Chinese fans forgiveness for pot smoking via online videoFebruary 14th, 2009 - 4:16 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 14 (ANI): Golden Olympian Michael Phelps has apologizes to his Chinese fans for the photos showing him smoking pot.
The swimmer, who won eight gold medals at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, has released an Internet video seeking forgiveness from the Asian country.
“As many of you know, I recently engaged in behaviour which was regrettable and not what people have come to expect from me,” Usmagazine.com quoted him as saying in the video.
His apology helped save his relationship with Mazda Motor Corp, for the company agreed to continue sponsoring him.
Phelps signed a seven-figure contract to represent the carmaker in China, which was the biggest deal for a Western celebrity in the nation, Bloomberg reports.
“To the young people of China, please learn a lesson from this,” Phelps said in the video.
“Be positive in life, and do the right things. I”ve had so many great experiences in China over the past few years, and have enjoyed learning about your culture and your history,” he added. (ANI)
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Mark Spitz feels bad for Michael Phelps - Feb 03, 2009
- Olympics of superstitions (Olympic diary) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Fans defend Phelps after marijuana scandal - Feb 07, 2009
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Late burst gives Phelps 100m butterfly gold - Aug 04, 2012
- It's time to forgive Chris Brown: Cole - May 23, 2012
- Phelps caps career with gold in Olympic relay - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: 2008 olympics, apology, asian country, beijing, carmaker, celebrity, china, chinese fans, experiences, feb 14, forgiveness, gold medals, mazda, mazda motor, michael phelps, olympics, pot smoking, relationship, smoking pot, swimmer