Phelps gets gold with 400m medley world recordAugust 10th, 2008 - 9:49 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 10 (DPA) Michael Phelps of the US smashed his 400 metres medley world record to win the first of a possible eight Beijing Olympics swimming gold medals. His time of four minutes 3.84 seconds beat the previous mark of 4:05.25 he swam June 29 at the US trials in Omaha. It was his seventh Olympic gold overall and a 23rd world record.
Hungarian Laszlo Cseh got silver in 4:06.16, while Phelps’ friend and compatriot Ryan Lochte won the bronze medal in 4:08.09 in front of a huge crowd including US President George W. Bush.
Phelps is going for an unprecedented eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics. The 23-year-old needs just three more gold medals from to become the leading all-time Olympian with ten gold medals.
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic gatecrasher now hogs limelight in virtual world (Olympic diary) - Aug 04, 2012
- Australians and US share swimming spoils - Aug 10, 2008
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Can Olympic champion Phelps continue where he left off? - Jul 22, 2009
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Lochte beats Phelps in 400m medley - Jun 26, 2012
- Olympics: Rochte claims first gold in London, Phelps off podium - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps wins 200m freestyle at US Olympic trials - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: beijing olympics, bronze medal, compatriot, crowd, dpa, four minutes, george w bush, gold medals, hungarian, june 29, laszlo cseh, medley, michael phelps, olympics, president george w bush, ryan lochte, world record