Petra Kvitova Ousts Dinara Safina From US OpenSeptember 6th, 2009 - 6:37 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
The US Open 2009 is proving to be a package of surprises. First came the defeat of the 29th seeded Maria Sharapova by the 70th ranked 17 year old rising teen tennis sensation Melanie Oudin. It was followed by Andy Roddick’s unceremonious exit from the US Open this year. Then the news of the World No. 1 being defeated by a 72nd ranked Petra Kvitova and crashing out of the tournament early.
Safina went down in a match against Petra, 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (5). The defeat knocks her out of the US Open 2009. However, the ousting would not be having much of an effect on her WTA rankings. Even if Serena Williams gets to defend her title this time at the Open, Safina will still remain World No. 1.
True to her form, Safina had put up a very tough fight but also ended up making lots of mistakes.
Her tactics had supposedly appeared erratic almost throughout the entire match, to counter the risk taking serves of the brave 19 year old Kvitova.
Petra Kvitova on her part played one of the most excellent matches of her young professional tennis career. She managed to successfully ward off three match points before the dawn of the tie breaker. All through, she had displayed tremendous courage, perseverance, skills and strategy. After this historic win, she is touted to play against Yanina Wickmayer of Belgium, for the next round.
The series upset wins have been one of the most talked about features of the US Open till now, as some of the major names in the professional world of tennis have been made to bid adieu to the Open, after being ousted at the hands of unexpected opponents.
- Top four seeds enter semis at Stuttgart WTA Grand Prix - Apr 28, 2012
- Oudin beats Jankovic in AEGON Classic final - Jun 18, 2012
- Kvitova rises to fifth in world rankings - Aug 26, 2012
- Kvitova overpowers Sharapova to win 2001 Wimbledon title - Jul 02, 2011
- Unseeded Kanepi knocks Wozniacki out of Pan Pacific Open - Sep 28, 2011
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Wozniacki set to lose World No. 1 spot - Jan 24, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sharapova knocked out; Williams survives scare (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Woznicaki hopes to retain No.1 ranking till end of season - Oct 01, 2011
- Zvonareva to meet Radwanska in Pan Pacific final - Sep 30, 2011
- Sharapova and Serena pull out of China Open - Sep 30, 2011
- Williams survives scare to beat Shvedova - Jul 02, 2012
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Stosur, Clijsters sail into round three of Australian Open - Jan 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,