Pele has no respect from footballers, says MaradonaDecember 8th, 2008 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 8 (IANS) Diego Maradona’s dislike for Pele is well-known and the Argentine again minced no words in saying that the Brazilian never had the respect of players that he commands.”The biggest and main difference between Pele and Maradona is I have the respect of all footballers, which Pele does not have. Pele is a friend of those who manages football. I am not friends with them. I am with the players,” Maradona told a private TV channel Kolkata TV, on the last day of his two-day trip here Sunday.
“I do not have anything against Pele, but Pele has against me. Because he was second to Ayrton Senna (triple Formula One World Champion), and second to Maradona as well,” he said.
During a FIFA poll to judge Footballer of the 20th century, Pele came second to Maradona. But later FIFA declared both as the best footballers of the 20th century.
Maradona also recalled his friendship with former Cuban president Fidel Castro and described the communist leader as a bright man.
“You get enriched every moment you spent with him, even when you say hello. We talked about football, politics, baseball. We talked of the USA as well. We talked about the dark sides of imperialism,” he said.
Describing imperialism and its policies as the root cause of world economic problems, Maradona came down heavily on the US.
“The problems have been mainly created by the US. They say they are big, others small. They decide, and then we have to go by their decisions. But now, after what has happened to the US (economy), the time has come for every nation to take their own decisions,” he said.
Maradona regretted terrorist strikes in the world, saying they were awful.
“We have to stop this because there are many innocent people, innocent kids, paying the price. They should not be paying the price,” he said.
- Hamilton sees F1 fight with Alonso as new Senna-Prost battle - Mar 29, 2011
- Kolkata reception second biggest: Maradona - Dec 08, 2008
- Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: Pele - Aug 19, 2012
- Argentinian stars have a long affair with Kolkata - Sep 01, 2011
- From Senna to Irrfan, through Asif Kapadia's lens - Mar 16, 2012
- Maradona takes another kick at World Cup ball - Jun 23, 2010
- Maradona calls Pele 'idiot' for comments on Messi - Jun 10, 2012
- Ruud Gullit for pact barring big clubs luring away native talent - Jul 29, 2012
- F1 legend Senna inspiration for Brazilian triathlete - May 29, 2012
- Maradona wants to keep coaching UAE team - Jul 12, 2012
- Olympic football: Pele hoping for historic Brazil victory - Aug 10, 2012
- 'To me, Pele is the best,' says Pele - Apr 29, 2011
- Dutch star Ruud Gullit arrives in Kolkata - Jul 28, 2012
- Lionel Messi, Argentine side to play in Kolkata - Feb 07, 2011
- Maradona's latest verbal volley: asks Pele to 'go back to museum' - Jun 17, 2010