Pedro Martinez Throws The Ceremonial Pitch For The Boston Red SoxApril 5th, 2010 - 7:26 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Boston, Apr 5, (THAINDIAN NEWS) On Sunday night at Beantown’s Fenway, fans had a surprise guest which brought smile to their faces. Around 38,000 people cheered when Pedro Martinez came out of the left field and then threw the ceremonial first pitch for the Boston Red Sox. The Boston Red Sox played against the New York Yankees to begin their MLB 2010 season for the league.
Pedro Martinez had contributed to the success of the Boston Red Sox team immensely during his tenure and his presence during the opening ceremony was therefore not very surprising. Pedro Maritinez has led the team to win the first World Series in 86 years, back in the year 2004. He is considered as one of the best pitchers in the history of Boston Red Sox team. On Sunday, Pedro Martinez seemed to be enjoying each and every moment of the ceremony and the ovation that he received from his fans.
Pedro Martinez emerged from the left of the field and slowly walked to the pitcher’s mound. He smiled and waved his hands towards the viewers and also took time to shake hands with the third baseman of the New York Yankees, Alex Rodriguez. On the mound, Pedro Martinez threw the pitch high and inside as always to Jason Varitek the present Boston Red Sox catcher. After the throw, Pedro Martinez went to hug 90-year-old Johnny Pesky, who had a long association with the Boston Red Sox team. Johnny Pesky, who wore the team’s uniform for the occasion had remained a former player, manager and coach for the team. The presence of the veterans in the opening ceremony made the occasion all the more grander.
- Neil Diamond Performs "Sweet Caroline" At The Fenway Park - Apr 05, 2010
- Wonder whether it can get any worse for the Yankees - Apr 27, 2009
- Dustin Moseley Takes To Field A Day Earlier - Aug 09, 2010
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia Traded To Boston Red Sox - Aug 01, 2010
- Adrian Gonzalez On The Verge Of Being Traded To Boston Red Sox - Dec 05, 2010
- Bobby Jenks Agrees To $2Million Deal With Boston Red Sox? - Dec 17, 2010
- Dustin Pedroia Scores For Red Sox - Apr 05, 2010
- Major league baseball playoffs - Oct 03, 2011
- Man stabbed over baseball game debate - Oct 04, 2010
- Boston Red Sox moves to the top of the 'Al wild card chase' - Sep 28, 2011
- Barack Obama throws first pitch at 2009 All-Star game in St. Louis - Jul 15, 2009
- Obama's first pitch at Nationals opener goes "little high and outside" - Apr 06, 2010
- Baseballer Clemens indicted for lying about steroid use - Aug 20, 2010
- Legendary Manager Ralph Houk Dies At 90 - Jul 22, 2010
- The legendary Red Sox player, Dom DiMaggio dies - May 09, 2009
Tags: alex rodriguez, beantown, boston red sox, fenway, first world series, history of boston, jason varitek, johnny pesky, kar, meena, new york yankees, news on sunday, opening ceremony, ovation, pedro martinez, pitchers, player manager, surprise guest, third baseman, world series