PCB sets up committee to probe Asif’s Dubai caseJanuary 20th, 2009 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Jan 20 (IANS) The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has set up a committee to probe Mohammad Asif’s detention in Dubai last year on charges of drug possession.Saleem Altaf, the PCB chief operating officer, said the four-man probe committee is likely to take around a week after meeting Asif before concluding its findings.
The committee will take into consideration a report prepared by the Dubai authorities over the incident that happened in June last year within the next 15 days.
Former Pakistan Test wicket-keeper Wasim Bari heads the committee that also includes PCB’s doping expert Sohail Saleem and Asif Sohail, the Board’s media manager.
Asif was caught at the Dubai airport last June in possession of opium and was detained there for 19 days. He was later deported by the authorities. It was revealed earlier this month Asif has been barred from entering UAE.
Altaf said that the committee will meet Asif soon after his return from Mumbai where he is to appear in front of the Indian Premier League (IPL) doping tribunal. The 28-year-old fast bowler is also facing a possible two-year ban after testing positive for banned steroid nandrolone while playing in the inaugural IPL season last May.
The PCB is awaiting a decision from the IPL tribunal over Asif’s case and will decide whether it should also take action against the bowler over the doping offence, Altaf said.
- PCB assures Asif of fair trial under its anti-doping regulations - Jan 21, 2009
- PCB fines Asif over Dubai misadventure - Jul 02, 2009
- Butt believes Asif will be back in Pakistan squad soon - Jan 23, 2009
- Asif's absence angers Pakistan cricket board's probe committee - May 11, 2009
- Pakistan likely to recall Asif for Champions Trophy - Jul 04, 2009
- PCB fines Asif for Dubai drugs detention - Jul 02, 2009
- Asif hopes to be cleared of the dope charges - Jan 26, 2009
- Asif gets one-year IPL ban for positive dope test - Jan 30, 2009
- Pakistan Cricket Board begins Asif probe - Jan 16, 2009
- PCB to consider Akhtar, Asif for Champions trophy: Bari - Jul 10, 2009
- PCB recommends two million rupees fine for Mohammad Asif for Dubai misadventure - Jun 04, 2009
- PCB committee recommends a hefty fine on Asif for Dubai misadventure - May 31, 2009
- Asif's estranged girlfriend accuses him of sending threatening mails, text messages - Apr 15, 2010
- Fast bowler Asif may be fined for Dubai misadventure - May 30, 2009
- Pak fast bowler Asif may face life ban for carrying opium - Jan 22, 2009
Tags: authorities, chief operating officer, drug possession, dubai airport, ipl, mohammad asif, mumbai, offence, opium, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistan test, premier league, s media, saleem altaf, steroid nandrolone, test wicket, tribunal, wasim bari, wicket keeper