PCB opposes sending invitation to Musharraf, Aziz for ICC T20 finalJune 21st, 2009 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 21 (ANI): The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has opposed inviting former President General Pervez Musharaf and Prime Minister Sahukat Aziz to the final of the ICC World Twenty20 Championship to be played here today.
According to sources, the former PCB chief Nasim Ashraf has asked the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to invite Musharraf and Aziz for the final match of the tournament to be played between Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
However, the ECB rejected Ashraf’s request, as the present PCB chief Ijaz Butt advised against sending invitations to the former leaders.
“The ECB is sending a written note to the Pakistan Cricket Board informing the board that it was purely on the intervention of Ejaz Butt that it has declined to invite Musharraf and Shaukat,” The Dawn quoted P. J. Mir, a television talk show host, as saying.
When enquired about the issue, Pakistan’s High Commissioner to Britain, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, denied to comment saying he too has not received any invitation for the final match.
Hasan, however, said that he has been informed that his invitation was on its way.
“It is only today that I learnt that an invitation is on its way,” he said. (ANI)
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- Repairing country's cricket image new PCB chief's top priority - Oct 13, 2011
- PCB management akin to "Ali Baba and 40 thieves": Pak UK High Commissioner - Oct 13, 2010
- Spot-fixing: Pak envoy denies writing complaint-letter about PCB to Zardari - Sep 18, 2010
- "PCB boss Butt assured me that board will provide all assistance, cooperation: Haider - Nov 12, 2010
- No cricketer will report fixing in future due to threats, lack of support: Zulqarnain - Apr 20, 2011
- PCB, Pak High Commission, team management call emergency meet - Sep 05, 2010
- Worried PCB's huddle with team, Pak envoy to UK to prepare for next NOTW salvo - Sep 10, 2010
- Afridi comes out of retirement - Oct 18, 2011
- Saudi authorities 'concerned' over Pak's turbulent political scene : Ashraf - Sep 05, 2009
- Growing demand for Ijaz Butt's removal as PCB chief - Sep 21, 2011
- Pak cricketers at centre of illegal betting allegations are innocent: Hasan - Sep 02, 2010
- Pak-UK relations 'on solid ground' despite cricket-fixing row: Pak envoy to UK - Sep 21, 2010
- PCB awards 'central contracts' to women cricketers for first time in Pak history - Dec 24, 2010
- PCB should clean up mess: Zaheer Abbas - Oct 17, 2010
Tags: dawn, ecb, england and wales cricket board, final match, former president, general pervez musharaf, high commissioner, invitation, invitations, june 21, nasim ashraf, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, president general, prime minister, shamsul, t20, talk show host, wajid, wales cricket board