PCB mulling IPL-like T20 tournament in UAEMay 15th, 2010 - 2:40 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, May 15 (ANI): The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is reportedly mulling to launch a T20 cricket tournament in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on the lines of the much famous Indian Premier League (IPL), and the proposal has already been approved by President Asif Ali Zardari, who is the PCB’s chief patron.
According to well-informed sources in the PCB, the board had sent a proposal of starting a T20 tournament in association with Abdul Rehman Bukhatir’s led Bukhatir group of companies.
“President Asif Zardari has given his consent to the proposal,” The Daily Times quoted sources, as saying.
The proposed league, named the Middle-east Cricket League (MCL) is likely to be launched in October, and the matches would be played in Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi.
“The concept is the same as the IPL. The cricket league will have franchised teams around five or six who will be allowed to sign on and play overseas players,” sources added.
Sources said that efforts were on to get clearance and support from the International Cricket Council (ICC) and its member boards and try to find a window for the MCL later this year.
Bukhatir has been associated with cricket for the past many years, and is primarily know for his Cricketers Benefit Fund Series (CBFS) venture in Sharjah. The CBFS series was suspended in 2003 following a match-fixing scandal. (ANI)
- Red-tapism delays Pak Major League Cricket on lines of IPL - Jul 27, 2010
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- Dengue forces Twenty20 tournament out of Lahore to Karachi - Sep 21, 2011
- Zardari felicitates PCB and players over 'no ICC proof of spot-fixing' - Oct 14, 2010
- PCB chief Butt to seek Zardari's guidance on management crisis - Oct 15, 2010
- PCB rejects cricket veterans' request for India tour - Nov 11, 2010
- "No plan to change PCB boss as Butt doing 'pretty good job'": Zardari - Nov 09, 2010
- PCB chief Butt to seek extension for another term - Oct 16, 2010
- Pakistan parliament panel wants PCB chief out in 24 hours - Oct 11, 2010
- Afridi can turn it around for Pakistan in World Cup, says Imran - Dec 09, 2010
- Zardari likely to sack PCB chief Ijaz Butt - Apr 25, 2011
- Spot-fixing: Pak envoy denies writing complaint-letter about PCB to Zardari - Sep 18, 2010
- Afridi urges Zardari to save Pakistani cricket - Jun 01, 2011
- Zardari asks England, Pak to end cricket match fixing blame game - Sep 21, 2010
- Miandad claims PCB sidelining him despite Zardari giving him more authority - Oct 14, 2010
Tags: abdul rehman, abu dhabi, asif ali zardari, asif zardari, benefit fund, bukhatir, chief patron, cricket league, cricket tournament, international cricket council, ipl, lahore, match fixing scandal, mcl, member boards, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, premier league, sharjah, united arab emirates