PCB chief invites Sri Lanka for series, response positiveDecember 18th, 2008 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Dec 18 (IANS) Ijaz Butt, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman, Thursday called Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) chief Arjuna Ranatunga to line up a home series against Sri Lanka after India cancelled their tour to the country.Immediately after getting an official confirmation of tour cancellation from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Butt called up Ranatunga to discuss the possibility of hosting Sri Lanka for Tests and one-dayers during Jan-Feb.
Butt told IANS that Ranatunga has responded positively to the invitation.
“The Sri Lankans are interested in playing Tests and one-dayers against Pakistan,” said Butt.
“I’ve personally spoken to Arjuna Ranatunga and he responded positively. We hope that something will be worked out within the next couple of days.”
India was to tour Pakistan in Jan-Feb to play three Tests, five one-dayers and a Twenty20 match. But the Indian government did not clear the tour in the wake of last month’s terror attacks in Mumbai, blaming the extremist elements in Pakistan for the attacks.
Butt said Sri Lanka are being invited as Pakistani cricketers desperately need to play Tests against leading teams.
Butt also said Sri Lanka has expressed no security concerns about touring Pakistan.
Sri Lanka will be free of any international commitments after hosting Bangladesh in a home series that concludes Jan 4.
- Sri Lankan sports minister orders report on cricket crisis - Jan 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka selectors must go, says Ranatunga (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka refuse to tour Pakistan - May 24, 2011
- No DRS for Australia-Sri Lanka series for lack of sponsor - Jul 15, 2011
- Sri Lanka's Pakistan tour awaiting clearances - Mar 28, 2011
- Sri Lanka to end Pakistan's cricketing isolation with October series in country - Feb 25, 2011
- (VM) India-Pakistan to revive cricketing ties after 5 years (Third Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka tour of Pak hits a roadblock - Dec 31, 2008
- Lorgat denies making statement over Pak security: PCB - Dec 23, 2008
- India-Pakistan break the ice on cricketing ties (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- Pakistan to play 3 ODIs, 2 T20s in India in Dec-Jan (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- IPL a monster that will destroy international cricket: Ranatunga - Jun 01, 2011
- Pakistan to face Sri Lanka and England in UAE - Jun 21, 2011
- I will instill self-belief in Pakistan team: Coach Mohsin - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: arjuna ranatunga, extremist elements, india bcci, international commitments, mumbai terror attack, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistani cricketers, play three, sri lanka cricket, sri lankans