Pathan ready to fill all-rounder’s slot in Team IndiaFebruary 24th, 2012 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Feb 24 (IANS) Left-arm pacer Irfan Pathan Friday said he would fit in with skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s scheme of a fast-bowling all-rounder in the Indian team.
Pathan said he can bowl his full quota of 10 overs and can also contribute with the bat lower down the order.
“I think I am a bowler who can bat. If you look at me in the nets, I always make sure I give equal importance to both aspects. When I am bowling, I make sure I need to bowl length with the start, use variations and try to finish it off with death-over bowling and variations,” said Pathan.
The 27-year-old Baroda player, who is making a comeback to international cricket after two years, said he has been putting extra effort in the nets to improve his batting.
“Same in batting, I make sure that I finish my batting with regular bowlers. I try to do some extra bowling, thrown by coaches and bat extra. In a match, when I bowl I’m a bowler and when I am batting, I try to think as a batsman”, he added.
Pathan said good performance with the ball also boosts his confidence.
“The best thing for me would be to take wickets. When I keep taking wickets, it helps my batting and vice-versa. When I look at myself, I feel its 60-40 — 60 bowler, 40 batsman. I am ready to bat wherever the team demands. It is not an issue for me. In terms of bowling as well, I am willing to bowl wherever the team wants me to, with the new ball or old ball. As long as I am playing, I am happy,” he said.
Pathan said he is ready to bat at any position when the team requires.
“I want to be ready to bat at any position as I have batted at all positions. What is important is what the team management and captain think. I want to let things come to me than keep using my mind a lot. It is better to be relaxed and let things come. Sometimes you bowl good balls and don’t get wickets and sometimes you bowl bad balls and get wickets,” he said.
- Harbhajan thanks Tendulkar for adding variety to his bowling - Jul 08, 2011
- Tendulkar inspired Umesh to work on a new delivery (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- This Indian team can fight till the last ball: Harbhajan (Interview, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 08, 2011
- India will rely on swing: Zaheer - Dec 15, 2011
- I kept it simple: Ojha - Aug 31, 2012
- I must improve my batting, says Sehwag - Feb 21, 2012
- Playing at home motivates me: Virender Sehwag (Interview) (World Cup Countdown) - Feb 01, 2011
- Raina promises an improved show in tri-series - Jan 30, 2012
- Batting powerplay can prove decisive, says Suresh Raina (Interview, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 09, 2011
- Next 200 wickets would come soon: Harbhajan - Jul 08, 2011
- Need guys to take up responsibility, says Sammy - Jun 24, 2011
- Gayle will make a difference to this team: Ambrose - Jun 12, 2011
- Tremlett could pose problems for Indian batsman: Boycott - Jun 21, 2011
- Sreesanth attributes his success to stint with Donald - Jul 30, 2011
- ICC clears Samuels' bowling action - Sep 29, 2011